24 - Fighting the Fear

Her heart was pounding in her chest. She quickened her pace until her feet hurt and looked over her shoulder. There was no one. Still she couldn't shake off the feeling that someone was following her, constantly keeping an eye on her. She took a detour to her apartment so she didn't have to pass dark alleys, but even with other people on the streets she knew she wouldn't calm down before she was in her room. 

The unrest had started a few days after she had received the rose. Together with Davey they'd grabbed some dinner, and on their way back she'd had the feeling that someone was following them. With her boyfriend by her side she had found it just strange, she hadn't been in panic at all. 

But now she was, now she was alone. Her hands even felt clammy and she cursed her anxiety. It wouldn't be long before she didn't dare to leave the building at all. And for what? Her anxiety was solely based on a feeling, it was all in her head. She'd never expected to be such a pussy, she'd always considered herself as a tough chick. 

Once more she looked over her shoulder. There – at that alley, was that a shadow? Her breathing was stuck in her throat, her heart growing cold. A stray dog rushed across the street. Abigail pursed her lips; this was ridiculous! 

Abigail had the feeling that she'd ran for hours when she closed the door behind her. Sweat had piled up on her forehead and she was glad that Ashley wasn't around to laugh at her. She sat down on the bed. Her heart was still slamming in her chest and every time she heard footsteps on the other side of the door, she jumped. She wiped below her eyes as her vision started to blur. Where was this fear coming from? She pulled her phone out of her pocket and was about to call Davey, but she knew he was doing a show right now. She wasn't in the mood to talk to him anyway, he was probably going to try to laugh it off as a means to calm her down. Scrolling down, she decided to give Juice a call. His voice always had a calming influence on her, this time it probably wouldn't be any different. 

"Hey Abby!" His voice sounded merry. 

She closed her eyes for a while when she heard his voice. Jeez, suddenly she missed him so much. It had been weeks since she'd seen him, she couldn't even remember how his arms had felt around her and still she was convinced that was exactly what she needed right now. 

"Hey," she answered softly. She took a deep breath, she was about to break. 

His tone changed immediately. "What's wrong? Are you cryin'?"

"No," she muttered. "Almost." She wiped her eyes, her lips started to quiver. 

"Why? What happened?"

"Nothing," she muttered. "It makes no sense. I –I just needed to hear your voice."

"Okay." He paused. "You want me to come over?"

Her lips bent into a slight smile. He was such a sweetheart. But it would be midnight by the time he would be here, she didn't want to steal so much of his time. "No, you don't have to."

The background noise faded, apparently he'd gone to his room. "You know you can tell me anything, right?"

She bent her head. "I know. It's just... For days I have the feeling someone's watchin' me." She sniffled quietly. "I feel like a little child who's afraid of the dark. I – I was never that type of person. Not even when I was young. Even – even in my own room I don't feel safe."

"Why don't you spent some days in Charming?" he suggested. "Just to be out for a while? It's almost weekend, you can skip a day of school. Then you can fuel up a bit, I'll make sure nobody will bother you." She imagined how he lifted the corner of his mouth. "And I will try not to bother you too."

She laughed softly, wiping her eyes. "I got a project I need to work on."

"So? You can do that here too."

He had a point. Suddenly she really longed for home, for her family, her friends. "Okay. I got college until lunch tomorrow, then I'll get my stuff and drive to Charming."

"Awesome!"

The enthusiasm in his voice sent a warm wave through her body, and she noticed she relaxed a little. "Talk to me," she said softly. "You distract me from the noises on the hallway." She dropped her eyes and bit her lip. She really sounded like coward now. 

Instead of telling her there was nothing she had to be afraid of – which she knew perfectly well, but it didn't change anything about the tight feeling in her chest – he started to talk. "Well... actually I gotta tell you something." He let out a nervous chuckle. "I kinda have a date, next Tuesday."

Surprised, Abigail sat up straight. "Seriously? I thought Sons didn't do dates."

"She ain't a Croweater," he answered. "So I couldn't just take her to my room."

For a moment there was a strange feeling in her stomach, but she pushed it away quickly. She was happy for him, he deserved a sweet girlfriend. "How did you meet?"

"She's a friend of Michelle. She'd seen me in town a couple of times and had told her friend she had a little crush on me. Then Michelle took her to a party to introduce her to me and we hang out all night." 

The way his voice sounded gave away that he was blushing, calling up memories to the time she was the one causing those red cheeks. "I'm so happy for you. What's her name?'

"Angel."

She lifted the corner of his mouth. "Does she look like an angel too?"

"Actually she does. She has blond hair and a fuckin' cute face."

She whistled a teasing tone. "Someone here's a little in love."

"Maybe. A little." He laughed softly. Abigail had no doubts that the girl would be way over her head with him the moment she would hear that laughter. 

"You already decided where you want to take her to?"

"No. I wanted to do something... fun. Not just going to the movies." He paused. "You got an idea?"

"Lemme think about it. But I'm sure it's a dream date for her the moment she sits on your bike and wraps her arms around you."

"Let's hope she won't distract me that much that I will crash into a car."

"You sure? You don't want to cuddle up with your crush in a hospital bed again? Sounds like an interesting habit."

He started to laugh. "Some things are only fun the first time."

She chuckled. "Some things are only fun with me, you mean."

"That too."

A silence fell, but it wasn't an unpleasant one.

"Abby?" He asked after a while. 

"Hmm?"

"I feel sorry for you, for feeling unsafe. But I'm glad you're coming over the Charming this weekend."

"You're afraid you'll die of an overdosis nervousness before Tuesday when I'm not around to support your mentally?"

He chuckled. "Yeah, somethin' like that. At least I'll have something to talk about, it's never boring when you're around."

"I gotta do my homework sweetie."

"I'll find a way to keep that excited too. And even if I fail – then I can at least tell her that you sought protection with a tough guy like me."

"Asshole."

He laughed. "Love you too."

She smiled. Suddenly she wished it was already tomorrow, so she could give him a squeezing hug.