the weirdo on maple street

part three

everyone climbed out of the pool and dried themselves off as best as they could with their wet clothes. tommy and carol giggled and ran up to steve's parents room to hook up while lydia and steph looked at them in disgust. steve reminded the couple that they would be in charge of washing the sheets but the only response he got was the sound of the door closing. then, he turned his attention to the three standing in the living room.

"you guys alright?" they nodded. "let's get you guys some dry clothes." steph declined.

"i have spare change of clothes in my car, i'll be fine." steve nodded and made a joke about her bad parking, earning himself a solid smack to the back of the head. he laughed it off as the other two girls followed him upstairs. lydia had made her way into steve's room and overheard the conversation between barb and nancy.

"where are you going?"

"nowhere, just, upstairs. to change. i, fell in the pool." nancy paused. "why don't you go home, i'll catch a ride with lydia or steph or something."

"nance, lydia is shit-faced and steph is the worst driver on earth."

"barb, i'm fine."

"this isn't you."

"i'm fine, just go ahead and go home, okay?" and with that she climbed up the stairs and entered steve's room. she swung the door open as lydia peeled her shirt off, making her stop in her tracks. "oh, sorry, lyds. i'll give you some privacy." ignoring steve's presence, she undressed and waved off her apology.

"it's fine, i'm just grabbing a shirt then i'll be out." nancy hesitantly nodded as she stepped into the room. she stood next to lydia by the window, taking the wet clothes from her friend. what the girl didn't realize was how her boyfriend was looking at his intoxicated best friend. he had seen the girl in bathing suits countless times, and had even accidentally walked in on her changing several times. but after tonight he couldn't seem to take his eyes off her. he grabbed a hoodie and threw it at the half-dressed drunk teen in an attempt to push away whatever feelings were stirring inside. it landed on her head and instead of taking it off she just laughed. this did nothing to help steve. nancy did the girl a favor and pulled the large sweatshirt over her head, helping her with the arms. she giggled as her friend dressed her.

"nance, you're so pretty, with your hair and your eyes." she cupped the girls face, pressing her cheeks in so that she looked like a fish. the slightly sober girl laughed at this and gently took her friend's hands off her face. lydia spun around and faced steve's back who was rummaging through his drawers for clothes. she hugged him from behind, her face buried in the back of his shirt. "you're such a good friend, stevie. have i told you how good you are? you're so good." steve chuckled and faced the small drunk girl.

"you have, multiple times. now change out of your jeans you're getting my floor all wet." he pointed down at the jeans that dripped pool water onto his bedroom floor.

"woah, slow your roll, harrington. i have a boyfriend." she slurred and held her hands up in defense. steve rolled his eyes, realizing nothing was going to get done with her in this state. he looked to his girlfriend and gestured her over to help take care of the drunk child. he pushed her back on the bed as she laughed, her eyes fixated on the ceiling. "lydi, i'm going to help you with your pants, okay? if you keep them on you're going to catch a cold and god knows you turn into a child when you get sick," the girl announced. however, lydia was starting to doze off so the couple took one pant leg each and tried to help their friend. "is it bad that this isn't the weirdest thing that i've had to do for lydia while she's drunk?" nancy asked. however, her boyfriend assured her that weirder things have happened to the girl and will probably continue to happen with her track record.

"alright lydi, time for you to go to bed." steve patted the girl's bare leg, but she was already asleep. "goddammit, again?" he handed nancy a sweater before scooping up a passed out lydia and carrying her into the guest bedroom. he laid her down in bed, pulling up the comforter and making sure she was comfortable before turning off the light and reentering his room. nance was facing the window in just her bra. she turned around and shyly smiled at him. he looked at her with lustful eyes before going over and kissing her deeply. she reciprocated and they fell onto his bed.

with both couples preoccupied, steph passed out on the couch, and lydia fast asleep in the guest bedroom, barb remained outside on the diving board. she nursed her hand as her feet dipped into the water, blood seeping through the bandage she had wrapped around her cut. she watched as the blood dripped off her finger and into the pool, the red disappearing into the teal water. the lights flickered and suddenly she was gone. just like that, barbra holland was gone. and all the occupants of the house were none the wiser.