Across the Sea

My name is Marline Cresta.

I am 14 years old.

This is my story.

I was born in a cottage by the beautiful sea. However, the world I was born into a world that was not as beautiful. I was born into a world full of killing for sport, where a tiny mistake could get you killed. A world full of this is right, this is wrong, black and white, no grey. The Hunger Games.  Even the words make me shudder.

 Like I was saying, I was born by the sea.

 I grew up in the sea, with my father keeping a close eye, because my mother had drowned in the sea shortly after I was born. I don't remember her at the slightest, but I know she loved me very much.  

 ~  

 This morning when I awoke, I got up, got dressed in my bathing suit, and walked out into the cool morning air. It was a reaping day, but it was only 7:00, so I walked down to the water. I stood in the beautiful ocean with my eyes closed, trying to remember my mother. I wish I could. I only have photographs. My father was a fish merchant, he didn't fish, he sold it to other districts. We are pretty rich, we always had food in our stomachs. He used to love the sea. He loved my mother more.

After taking a bath and combing my long auburn hair, I put on my prettiest dress on and went out side to meet Lottie. My cousin Lottie was the closest thing I had to a friend. She smiled when I came out, and politely said that I looked nice. I said the same and we were on our way.  

 ~  

 Every year the Reaping is held in the same place, a little park in the middle of town. We signed in, and headed over to the 14 year-old area. I saw my father in the back, his eyes closed, singing to himself. He does that a lot. Once I asked him what he was singing, and he said,

 "Down in the valley, the valley so low

Hang your head over, hear the wind blow

Hear the wind blow, dear, hear the wind blow;

Hang your head over, hear the wind blow.

Roses love sunshine, violets love dew,

Angels in Heaven know I love you,

Know I love you, dear, know I love you,

Angels in Heaven know I love you.

Build me a castle, forty feet high;

So I can see her as she rides by,

As she rides by, dear, as she rides by,

So I can see her as she rides by.

Roses love sunshine, violets love dew,

Angels in Heaven know I love you,

Know I love you, dear, know I love you,

Angels in Heaven know I love you. "

He told me that Mom sang it a lot, so he sang it and it reminds him of her.

 I smiled at him and then turned around because the Reaping. The town square was clad in ribbons and banners of last years tributes. 

 ~  

 "Hello District 4!" Magnus Wehn said.

Magnus Wehn, a tall skinny man with blue hair and unnatural green eyes, was the escort of our District. He had been with us for 2 years before. 

"Well shall we start?" he said reaching for the girls bowl. Three slips had my name on it. The odds were in my favor.

He pulled out a name and said it into the mic.

"Marline Cresta."

 I didn't hear it at first. Then, it all came crushing down, the mere fact of my probable death was choking me. I am going to die. I'm going to Capitol. In a haze I walk out of the crowd and up onto the platform Mangus was standing on.  

I mumbled my name into the microphone. Then, he turned to boys sphere. Instead of grabbing the first slip his finger touched, he dug to the bottom and pulled one out. He pulled it open. There was only one boy in the crowd that I was afraid for. 

"Finnick Odair." 

Of corse. Finnick! He climbed up on to the old stage emotionless. Annie, my cousin and best friend was crying on her mothers shoulder. 

 The next thing I know, I am in the elevator up.

I am going to die.

"Walk." I had to tell myself.

"Sit."

 My father came in. I heard him. I jumped to my feet and ran into his arms. He stroked my hair, singing again.

He handed me something.

I looked at what he handed me.

It was a tiny fish, the size of Dad's thumb.

"It was your mothers." he whispered.

"Dad-"

"Take it. As your district token. Please. It would mean the world to your mother."

"Ok. I love you." I said.

"I love you to Mar."  

He left silently  when they came to get him.

I looked around the room. Since seafood is so high in demand, we are one of the richer districts. The room was decorated in ribbons and bows. The chair that I was sitting in was some kind of silk. I ran my hand around the cushion. Some of the pillows in my room were silk, so it wasn't unfamiliar. I closed my eyes and I was almost back in my room at home. Just lying around reading. I heard a sound. I opened my eyes and I was back in the silken chair. Annie my cousin came in. She was crying, Finnick was our best friend. I held on to Annie. I knew that Finnick would be the one to come home.