The Ripple Effect

Love is like a ninja

Prologue

                    Love is like a ninja.         

                    You know it exists, but you never know where it is, or when it might strike. It may take only a second to get through with you, love at first sight. Or it may choose the slow, tortuous alternative, a continuous assault over the years, where you don’t realize what’s happening until all there’s left to do is fall in love.

                    For me, it was the latter.

                    It was never supposed to happen the way it did. I never factored love into our relationship. But somehow, it had, smuggling its way past my carefully put up barriers and jamming itself in front of my face, refusing to be ignored. But by the time it succeeded in making itself known, it was too late.

                    Maybe it was fate, the way things played out. Perhaps it was destiny, or just plain old me being dumb, realizing what a good thing I had, after it fell through my grasp. Whatever the case, I just have one wish.

                    I wish I could hear you see you, just one more time. One more summer to work it out. For then I would know that our journey is not over. We still have time to figure things out.

                    But, I can’t. Our summers together came and went, along with my chances at real love.

                    Love is like a ninja.

                    You don’t realize it’s there, until it’s gone.

New short story! Yay! Let me know what you guys think! ~Emi