Void

Nobody liked me, nobody. Of course when you're known as the "Son of Slender" since first grade that doesn’t help.  I got that name because of my first voidwalk,   Right in the middle of class.  For me, it was strange, like I just fell into and out of warm air.  For the class it was horrifying.  I fell into a black hole that came from nowhere. Then there was a loud bang from the empty room behind ours. When the teacher rushed to see what it was, and there I was, rolling around holding my head, crying and lying on a table.

Oops I forgot, my name is Vanack Morgan. It sucks. I don't know why my mom named me that. My father is an unknown, my mom won't tell me who he was, and no known super has that power or something similar.

Day one was your usual orientation day for school, boring and slow. My mom had given me the usual words of encouragement, keep your head down, don't show off, find a few good friends and make a good first impression on your teachers.

I had five classes first semester. Advanced Algebra/Trig, Possible Enemies, History of Gifted People, Culinary Arts and Computer Science. I had proven myself worthy enough to skip Basic Ability Manipulations.

I walked into my first class, History of Gifted People, ready for a boring teacher and syllabus, but Mrs. Edge was anything but. Firstly, she was dressed in a generic researcher outfit but had two swords on her back and various throwing knives stuck in her desk or the walls. Secondly, she had a whiteboard covered with drawings of our faces and where we were sitting in relation to the front, in extreme detail, like our eyes were even colored exactly like real life.

"Class, this is not your basic class. We will not be following a book exclusively. In fact-"Mrs. Edge knocked a textbook on history into the air and then chopped it into shards with a sword"-we will start and learn from one origin point each, telling everyone in the class the highlights of your favorite hero's experience as a hero, a major event in history or era in history. If two people go for the same project, then they will work together and give their presentation together. If one person does all or most of the work, the lazy one will have to explain why they couldn't help and then learn about someone else. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Mrs. Edge," was our response as a class, with a few people leaning back from her.

My next class was culinary arts. Thankfully, even though it was clear that most people could prepare food with their various heat related powers, there were stoves in the school we could use.

Oh why am I telling you this? There's no real reason. This is like explaining how genius's know what they know. You just assume that they learned it somewhere. So just assume I met my friends through some "fun" mostly boring classes.

Since my high school was radically empty of people from my old school, only a handful of people knew about my unique power set. This became evident on day five of school. A blue haired, pompus, rich idiot stole my lunch and is holding it over his cronies, who were acting like pirahna's and snapping at it.

"Hey! Excuse me, Zeus Athens, but do you know what I can do?" I yelled over the crowded cafeteria and his cronies’ laughter. His head whipped towards me, his cronies turned to me and I could hear a few "oooooohs".

"Throw bubbles, be a weakling and be worthless to a future hero like me? After all, that's why you aren't learning control with the rest of us." Zeus said.

"Oh, I'm sorry; I didn't know it was part of hero training to steal lunches, not weapons from mad scientists. However, since you don't know what I can do, maybe I'll let this one slide."

The cafeteria became extremely quiet. They were already quieting down since no one had ever talked to Zeus Athens, son of Shocker, the most powerful thrower of electricity ever, in this manner, but now I had thrown double the challenge back. Aaron was waiting for toys to enter his mouth as his jaw dropped.

"You seem to have forgotten who I am. I'm the son of Shocker, which means all things electrically related I control." he began to monologue.

"Yes, we all know how you are famous and can make toasters work just by holding the cord, so useful, better only than being able to hover an inch off the ground." I interrupted mockingly.

"Yes, well gents, let's settle this fairly. Everybody out! The cameras roll in two," The principal, Mr. Rogerson said.