Preface

Spain, 1260

Fire and blood outside. Commotion from the crowd outside the palace walls. The sentries were trying their best to hold them out. But such a massive amount is uncontrollable. The vampyrs would get to us inevitably if we didn’t hurry. 

I held my little sobbing brother close to my chest. Mama and Papa were with the General Mazika, readying things for the escape. Fighting them would be devastating, unfruitful.

No human has ever won against a vampyr.

We heard a loud bang. And then a roaring and screaming of men. They were in. We had to hurry.

Mama came to me and swept her hand over my head, murmuring a furtive prayer. I got up with my brother in my arms, and she hugged the both of us, like she was trying to protect us with her soul. She whispered to me that we had to run now, and I had to be the strong warrior princess I had always been. I nodded solemnly.

 We went down to the basement passage, trying our best to hurry with silence. They were raiding the palace, looking for us. 

 I heard footsteps on the stairwell leading down to the basement, thanks to my acute hearing and called to Papa and General Mazika. They asked us to run faster. And we did. Mama had little Geruzo.

The footfalls grew louder. We ran faster than we all ever had to in our lives. Screams in the ranks of men protecting us. I could hear throats being torn.

General Mazika roared. And I stopped. Our guard proceeded in their fear without noticing me. “Jezebel! Jezebel! My daughter! Where is she?!” My mouther shouted. The vampyrs caught onto us. Mazika was dead.

Papa caught my hand and pulled me along with him. But it was too late. A vampyr had my hand, and was pulling me from the other side. By the time Papa’s hand reached his scabbard, it was too late.

Thevampyr had struck him. The rest were already running down our guard. They reached Mama and Geruzo. I saw blood spurting onto the stone walls and heard my little brother’s terrified scream. I squirmed but couldn’t get away from the steel grip.

And then it was my turn. I did not scream as the vampyr sank his teeth into my neck. I closed my eyes and vowed revenge.

                                                                                        **************

 My horse snorted in impatience, ready to charge. My will did the same. I roared at my army to proceed.

I have been waiting 200 years for this day. And today, I shall have my revenge. 

Today, they will pay. For my loss, for my ruination, for the destruction of life as I knew it. For murder of my parents and my humanity.

My sword struck.