Somewhat like you

"Class, you will not succeed" I tore myself away from my more important classwork to look at the teacher

"Class, you will not succeed" I tore myself away from my more important classwork to look at the teacher. "In this digital marketing strategies course."

"Kinda weird that he paused between those two words" Nik awkwardly laughed from beside me but I ignored him.

"Or the world unless you have a thorough understanding of squatters rights"

"Why am I in this class" I mumbled to myself.

"I've been both beneficiary and victim. Because currently, there's a desert storm veteran who's taken up residence in the back of my sedan.

"Somehow that makes sense" they all agreed with her.

"Normally, as a patriot, I would honor such a hero, but his once-delightful war stories are now starting to turn violent. It's freaking out my lady friend."

"Dude" Zoey sat down between Naomi and me. "You owe me 3,000 dollars. I spent the entire night shopping the semi-annual sale, ultimately made a lot of full-price choices. I didn't even finish Ruth Bader Ginsburg."

"Aww! Baby's first addy spiral"

"So, the thing that maxed out my credit card has a name"

"How are you so clueless all the time" I wondered but they ignored me.

I was playing a game on my phone when I got a message from Aaron. "Hey, k. How was the date last night."

"Why do you care" I was confused because the last person I considered a friend was Aaron.

"I was the one who recommended the place to Nik. Thought you'd both be more comfortable if you knew some people"

I truly felt like an idiot now. "Some people is an understatement"

"K" my name was Abruptly yelled. "Take this to the office. I was supposed to drop them off but didn't feel like it"

"Dude, I can't do this all by myself" I looked down at the heavy tote.

"Then take someone with you."

I could definitely ask Nik, it could be my chance to make amends. "Nik" I smiled.

"Ohh, yeah, sure" he kinda looked confused but kept a smile on his face.

"Thank you for coming with me" I broke the silence once we reached the office. "So, I'm not the best at apologies but I do owe you one"

"Yeah, what was that?"

"Once Zoey told us Aaron invited everyone I thought you were playing with me." I was embarrassed to even admit that. "I somewhat like you"

"I somewhat like you too" he grabbed my hand. "And I was just trying to make you comfortable."

"Which I appreciate, Nik. And if you don't mind I would love a do-over date."

"I think that would be best"

✨✨✨

"I hope this was amazing for you" I glanced around at the fancy restaurant and sighed. "What? You hate this too?"

"No, no. This has been a lovely date, Nik" I smiled at him. "I never needed anything this fancy though"

"I thought the princess was like this" he joked. "Look, I'm not as rich as your other boyfriend so-"

"I don't need shiny and fancy things. " I grabbed his hand. "As long as I'm with you I'm content"

"I somewhat like you" he kissed my hand.

"I somewhat like you too"