Chapter 4: Reasonable

- Chapter 4: Reasonable -

"Wake up! The Headmaster requests your presence!"

Her eyes blink open, and she sits up, still half asleep as she rubs her paws against her eyes. Looking at the doorway, she sees Howler, the Arcanine from yesterday. It looks like today he chose to wear something. It surely wasn't there yesterday.

A red and white striped scarf, is it? It mocks the pattern of a Slowking's frilled collar, and it's worn neatly around the neck, just hanging a little underneath. The ties are long, and they stick out above his neck.

He sits perfectly still, but she can't help but think he had been standing there for a while.

What was all that about? She can't help but wonder if what she was dreaming meant anything.

It most likely does. Perhaps her memories are trying to return to her. However, there is no time to think about it. The Arcanine seems impatient.

"The Headmaster told me to wake you at dawn. I arrived an hour prior, keeping watch of you after Dusk left his shift."

Keeping watch? He's been sitting there perfectly still for a whole hour?! Just how much patience does he even have?!

And who the heck is Dusk?

"Dusk informed Boomer of you and your friend's stay, so worrying about him is no concern. Now, come along."

Who the heck is Boomer?!

And Pineno... he's not around.

Worried, Krista has to ask. "Wait. Where's-"

"Your friend is already in the square. He requested me to let you sleep for 30 extra minutes. I was going to decline until he explained your rough day. So, this was your one-time exception. In other words, sleeping in won't happen again." He turned around and walked out of the room, making sure the Meowth is still behind him.

Her curiosity can only grow. What the Arcanine said, he mentioned a name Slowking did before. She can't help but wonder...

"Um, excuse me?"

Howler keeps walking. "I'm listening."

"Who are Dusk and Boomer?"

Howler seems slightly bothered by the question. "They are the associates of this corporation alongside myself."

"Associates…?"

"High-ranking members of the corporation are associates here. Something that you are not even close to. If you do register, you'll start off as a crew member. Crew members have to go through intense training that will push you beyond your limits. If you can't handle it, quitting is an option, but you cannot join us again as a member. Cowards aren't allowed. You will just be stuck as a resident."

How harsh. It appears quitting is more like being fired. Just how harsh is the training?

"But, if it were up to me, you wouldn't even be here." Howler continues, surprising the Meowth. "I'm only tolerating you for now, because the Headmaster brought you in. We can try to talk to him, but what he says goes. What he sees in you, I don't have a clue. Just don't expect a warm welcome from anyone else."

(What's his problem? I didn't do anything!) Krista frowns, unsure of what to say to counter his judgement.

"Just take my advice and leave while you have the chance. You'll only bring trouble to yourself while present." He sounds somewhat bitter towards her. It's obvious he doesn't like her.