Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Jill's POV

"And now we're here," I finished. "Can I see Lei yet?"

"Um, no. Not yet. Not until Nathan or one of his workers comes and tells us it's ok. So, you said that you have an autistic little brother? What are the symptoms?" the leader asked.

"Well, it's like he doesn't know what's happening. He sees things completely different from what we see them as, so it's hard to communicate. He has certain things or gestures or words that he knows what they mean. For example, rubbing his head is a sign of 'calm down' and he knows what that means," I replied. That was the best I could do at explaining it. I suppose I had grown up with everyone knowing, and have not tried to explain it to anyone.

"Oh, ok. Do you think that's what the boy's like?" the leader asked one of the other guards.

"Kinda. I guess we could get her to see if she knows what's he's doing, and if he does have autism." The guard shrugged.

The leader turned to face me. "Ok, so we have this boy who we found on the same day as you guys, and he won't respond to anything, he keeps screaming and trying to run into the walls and is stroking something. We figured there was something wrong with his brain, but we couldn't figure out what it was and we think you can help us." He smiled.

I stared at him in shock. Was he talking about Blue? "Well, I think I may know who you're talking about. It might be my little brother."

The guards looked as shocked as I was. "Really? So, do you know to, you know, talk to him or at least calm him down," the leader asked.

I nodded. "Can I please see Lei?" I asked one last time. The leader sighed.

"I said-" he was interrupted by another guard bursting in the door.

"Um, er... Sorry, am I interrupting something?" the guard finally blurted out.

"Just go on, Caleb," the leader said, shooting a look at me as I opened my mouth to speak.

"Ok, um, so...ah, Nathan told me to tell you that ah, the surgery of over, but...ah, you just better come and see." I immediately stood up along with the leader.

The leader looked at me. "Sit back down again. Now," he said, with tone in his voice. I did, scowling at him. "Ok, me and Thomas will go and see the girl and you," he pointed at me, "and Bajack will go to the boy and see if you can sort him out."

"What? I need to see Lei!" I screamed at him. I stood back up again but Bajack pushed me back down again. I struggled against him, but Thomas came to his aid and pushed me against the wall. I screamed and kicked but the leader pointed his gun at me.

"I said, you and Bajack will go and see the boy, and Thomas and I will go and see the girl." His voice was quite calm but firm. I stopped struggling and glared at him.

"Fine. 20 minutes with Blue and then I get to see Lei, no matter what's happened to her." I looked at the leader to see his reaction. It didn't change, the gun still in the same position.

"Ok. Bajack, take her." The guards released me and Bajack took me by the arm and dragged me down the hall. I didn't struggle against him.

"This is his room. We can go in but I have to warn you about a few things. No sudden movements or I might shoot you. Don't go ninja on me or the other guard or we might shoot you. Don't take my gun or I might-"

"Shoot me. I get it."

"I was going to say stab you 'cause you know, I don't have a gun." He gave me a fake smile.