Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Lunch and Stuff.

                    “Did you pack your own lunch?” Daisy asked as the lunch bell rang and we vacated the classroom.

                    “Yeah, it’s in my locker right now. How about I meet you in the cafeteria?”

                    “Okay, it’s the table right next to the window on the far left wall. See ya soon.” She waved, heading in the direction of the lunchroom and disappearing around the corner. My locker was in the opposite direction of the lunchroom; I had packed a peanut-butter sandwich for lunch this morning and I was ready for it now.

                    I had just turned the corner when a soft rough voice purred “So I was right, this is your locker. It was the only locker at the school that had you specific life force surrounding it.”

                    “Cain, what the hell are you doing here? You could get caught! You could get in serious trouble!” I hissed marching the last few feet to my locker and looking right into the eyes of my oldest friend.

                    “You worry too much love. I signed in about thirty minutes ago. And I jimmied your lock ten minutes ago and ate your sandwich.” He was grinning like a felox as he gave that last little tidbit of information.

                    “Damn you.”

                    “Too late, I was damned way before we met.” He purred again, wrapping his arms around my shoulder and dragging me towards the lunchroom.

                    “So… you’re Cane?” Daisy asked suspiciously after I introduced him.

                    “Yes.” Cane chuckled.

                    I decided to get the cover story out before Cane could be an ass. “Before my parents died they took him in. After the accident we just stuck together; he was granted guardianship of me since he was a year older and he claimed my family name.” I explained watching as Daisy's brow furrowed then smoothed back out.

                    “Okay well this is Robby,” she pointed to the small framed, red head next to her and he gave a shy wave. “And this is James.” The boy she pointed at this time took it upon himself to wink and make goo-goo eyes at me.

                    “Why are you just now getting to school?” Robby’s soft voce asked looking at Cane’s chest, unable to meet his eyes.

                    “I just finished the paperwork.” He deadpanned beside me; I elbowed him in the ribs.

                    “Well, I’m glad to meet you Cane. Do you know what classes you have?” Daisy was making goo-goo eyes now, at Cane.

                    “I have the same classes as Jessie.” He threw a possessive arm over my shoulder and shot a “look” at James.

                    “And we have World History with Mr. Brown next, so we need to go. I know about where the class is so we should get there, bye.” I rushed and dragged Cane away from the table before he could say another word.

                    Cane was naturally possessive of me; since the day we met, it was like that. We were a pack, even though Cane was not a werewolf, he was my pack. The first time I met Cane, it was because the Moon Goddess had called a meeting of the order; that first meeting was all I needed to know that we were meant to be together, either as friends, or as something else. So, it didn’t surprise me that Cane staked his claim in the cafeteria, what surprised me was the feeling that overwhelmed me when he did.

                    “So how have you liked this Vampire infected place so far?” he whispered in my ear as we turned down a disserted hallway.

                    “Every class is an Hour and thirty minutes long, and I hate my first block teacher.” I groaned, successfully pulling of my angsty teenager act.

                    “Fun, what about our second class of the day?”

                    “The teacher was a no show.” I said shoving my hand in his back pocket and pulling out his ever-present cell phone to check the time.

                    “Well that’s cool, how do you think World History will go?” his husky voice sent a shiver down my spine and made me gasp at how close he was now.

                    “I think it will be a load of lies, just like it always is. And since we lived through those lies, we need to be careful and stick to popular belief instead of firsthand accounts.” I whispered back, my throat was dry and I had chills suddenly. Cane has never affected me like this before.  “Do you smell that?” I asked stopping in front of our next class.

                    “No, I don’t smell anything, but that might be because I’m not a dog.” He said petting my head patronizingly.

                    “No, you jerk, it smells amazing. Like the first spring rain.”

                    “Don’t go all soppy on me Jess.” He poked me in the ribs with one hand as he opened the door with the other.

                    As the door swung open, we both gasped. That smell was so strong, and the pull was even stronger. I felt ripped into three separate pieces, as my eyes landed on the most amazing male specimen this world has ever known.

                    “Hello, you must be my new students; Jessie and Cane right?” asked the most sinfully crafted man ever.

                    “Damn…” Cane sighed lustfully at the sight.

                    "Yes, we are your new students, and we will be right back in just a moment." I said smiling as I slammed the door closed and jerked Cane half way down the hall.

                    “Do you see what I see?” Cane asked a faraway look in his eyes.

                    “Yes little drummer boy, and now we need to get him out of this building.” I look at the front entrance, so close.

                    “How, we can’t just walk up to him and be like ‘I know we just started school here and all, but we’re your mates and you need to come with us.’” He was getting frustrated now; I could tell by the way his eyes changed from the dark brown I had spelled them to be to their original gray.

                    “Well, we have to do something!” I was frustrated to now “I say since we don’t have another class after this one, that we go ahead and reveal ourselves after class.”

                     “You want to reveal ourselves to our potential mate in a vamp infested school?!” his deep voice cracked and he squeaked “Are you bloody mad?”

                    "I have an idea—"

                    "Isn't that the same thing you said to me right before we ended up at the executioners block?" he asked pulling me further away from the class room and our mate.

                    "And it was the same thing I said right before I got us off the chopping block." I was about to explain my brilliance to him a little more in-depth when the bell rang, "Jus let me do the talking after class."

                    "Fine," he muttered grumpily as we headed back for the class room. "But if we end up anywhere near a block or an ax, I will volunteer you for first up!"