Prologue

Hey guys, here's the prologue to my new story, i really hope you enjoy it! :D <3

--------------------------------------------------------------

The first of December.

I walked through the streets of Chester whilst various different Christmas songs blasted in the warm shops. It was snowing, which was a surprise as we hardly ever get snow. I currently have my earphones in with Ella Fitzgerald singing ‘Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas’. I loved Christmas, but I wasn’t in a jolly mood exactly. In fact I haven’t been in a jolly mood for about three years.

Oh no, people from my college are nearing me. Let me explain, I’m a bit of a loner, socially awkward, shy. I’m basically an easy target.

            “Hey Noelle, are you going to ask Santa for some friends this year?” One girl laughed nasally as she pushed past me.

Mature.

I sighed deeply and carried on walking. I was due in work in ten minutes and it was a fifteen minute walk from where I am standing. Blast.

I quickened my pace and managed to get into to work only two minutes late. I work in a small café called ‘The Warm Welcome’. My boss is lovely, her name’s Jules and she’s basically like a big sister to me. She has bright blonde hair that gently curls down to her shoulders with blue eyes and she’s super tall. The complete opposite to me really; I’ve got dark brown hair that’s wavy and ends up by my lower back with hazel eyes and I’m small.

            “Hey Jules, I’m really sorry I’m late.” I apologised I had gotten into the warmth of the café.

            “You’re only two minutes late Noelle, don’t sweat it.” Jules laughed.

I grinned at her and put an apron on and got to work.

About half way through my shift I heard the most annoying voice in the world.

            “Hey Noelle, I didn’t know you worked here.”

I groaned internally, it’s the nasally girl from before, otherwise known as Rachel.

I looked up to face her and her gang of silly follows from behind the counter where I was standing. She knew full well that I worked here; she always comes in trying to wind me up.

            “Can I get you anything?” I asked dryly.

            “A strawberry milkshake please.” She smiled sweetly, almost too sweetly.

I wonder what she’s up to this time.

Never the less I make her, her strawberry milkshake.

            “That will be two pound please.” I asked.

She grinned and handed me the money whilst I handed her the drink. She took a long sip and pretended to think for the moment.

            “Nope, definitely not enough strawberries.” She laughed whilst chucking the rest of her milkshake all down me.

I gasped in shock and looked up to meet her mocking gaze.

            “Now it suits you more than it would ever suit me.” She chuckled cruelly.

I willed myself not to cry in front of them. I would not let them have the satisfaction.

            “Hey! I saw that! Get out of my café, you’re all banned!” Jules yelled furiously.

            “That’s okay, anywhere is much better than here anyway.” Rachel smirked and walked out with her posy following her.

I quickly walked to the bathroom where I couldn’t hold my tears any longer. I cried out of embarrassment and loneliness. If only I had one friend in college, perhaps life wouldn’t be so bad.

            “Noelle, are you alright?” I heard Jules’ comforting voice echo through the bathroom.

I nodded and gave her a weak smile.

            “I hate how some of them treat you. Why don’t you tell someone about it?” Jules asked.

I shook my head slowly. “No, if I told a teacher it would only get worse when they found out I told on them.”

            “I have an idea! Why don’t you tell a complete stranger then?” Jules said.

            “Huh?”

            “I’m serious, pick an address out of a yellow pages book and write a letter to someone. If they don’t write back well then at least you’ve told someone other than me, that way you can get it off your chest. I know it sounds crazy but it’s worth a shot right?”

I sighed. “I don’t know Jules. What if they send back a horrible letter?”

She frowned. “Well you’ll never know what might happen until you try. Besides, it’s Christmas! All bets are off, anything can happen.”

            “I’ll think about it.” I finally answered her.

And that’s how I found myself that night, flicking through a yellow pages book for someone, anyone who would listen to what I had to say.

------------------------------------------------

VOTE! COMMENT! FAN! LIKE! TELL YOUR FRIENDS! THANKS! :D <3