Nineteen

The next two weeks sped by quickly. Ben and Michael were about to be sent off to France, Cora moved back in with her mother-in-law, and Ellie continued her work at The Royal London.

One day Ellie came into work when she noticed something: Martha, their resident problem-causer, was absent.

"Clarence, where's Martha?"

He looked sad. "She has the day off. Her fiancé is being sent overseas today and I thought it would be prudent to give some allowances." Ellie nodded. She could tell from his facial expression that he was thinking about his own son.

"So Doctor, who do we have today?"

Dr. Stanford shook away his stupor. "Oh, yes. Bradley Cooper. He's an engineer for the RAF. Severe burns up and down his arms. You will be working with Dr. Atticus again today."

"Oh, delightful!" Ellie walked over to the patient Dr. Stanford had directed her to. She smiled at him, but he just looked at her suspiciously.

"And who are you?"

"I'm a nurse. I'll be taking care of you today."

"I don't want no nurse. Just get me a brandy and I'll be fine." Ellie noticed something that made her eyes widen in shock: the man was smoking, in a hospital ward of all places!

"Mr. Cooper, you need to put that cigarette out."

"Now why should I do that?"

"Because there are burn victims here and this is a hospital. You're one yourself, why doesn't that bother you?"

"Because," he leaned in and added sarcastically, "Madam. I didn't get these burns 'elping the war effort. I got 'em while committing a crime and I know as I has to pay for what I done. Just let me be."

Ellie sighed. "Rules are still rules. Please put out the cigarette."

"You fink you're better than me, don't you? Go. You just leave me alone."

Ellie sighed. She was clearly powerless to stop the patient from doing what he wanted.

"Mr. Cooper, is it? If you would please put out your cigarette as Nurse Brooks just requested we can get on with your treatment." Dr. Atticus had arrived. He looked pointedly at the burn victim.

Bradley Cooper looked at the doctor for a moment, sizing him up. Then he put the cigarette out.

"Thank you." Brian and Ellie didn't speak while they dressed the burns on the patient's arms, but when they were done, they walked away and began to talk.

"Brian, that man said he committed a crime."

"I know. The RAF needs to vet its engineers more thoroughly. Although," he trailed off for a moment then finished, "I don't suppose they have much of a choice. There's not an endless supply of engineers. Nor is there an endless supply of anything. How have you been getting on with the sugar ration?"

"Quite alright. I never add sugar to my tea and I don't do much baking."

"Yes, I never cared much for sugar myself. My darling Esther, on the other hand, adores it."

A slim woman in a red coat and matching hat walked up to Dr. Atticus and slipped her hand through the crook of his arm. She had a fur shawl draped over her shoulders. "Brian, dear, what are you saying about me?"

"Darling! I was just saying how much the sugar ration is affecting you."

"Oh, yes! Teatime has been rather ghastly these past few...weeks has it been? I can't stand tea without sugar." She paused a moment, looking at her husband. "Brian, are you going to introduce us?"

"I'm sorry, my love. I'm quite preoccupied. This is Mrs. Ellie Brooks. She is a nurse here on the fourth floor. She is quite invaluable to the team, if I may say so myself."

Ellie smiled and shook hands with Mrs. Atticus. "Delighted."

While Ellie seemed fairly constrained and timid, Esther was loud and boisterous. "Why she's a darling thing, isn't she Brian? Where have you been keeping her?!" Then she took Ellie by the hand, leaned toward her, and said, "I think we shall be good friends."

Brian interrupted. "Are we leaving then?"

"Oh, yes. We're going to wave a friend of ours off, Ellie. They're sending him to France. It sounds delightful, doesn't it? The French Riviera at this time of year? I'm jealous. It was delightful meeting you, Ellie. I will make an effort to see you, and soon."

Brian winked at Ellie as his wife abruptly dragged him away. She smiled fondly at the couple. At that moment, Ellie felt a deep longing to be with her own husband.

When Ellie was finished for the day, she walked down the front steps of The Royal with an umbrella in hand. The rain was coming down in shimmery sheets. She flagged down a taxi cab and entered it, glad to be in a dry, warm car.

"Where to, ma'am?" The cabbie looked at Ellie in his mirror. Ellie was stopped from responding by something that caught her eye: Two figures in the rain. She wiped the foggy window with a gloved hand so she could see out.

It was Dr. Stanford and his son. Out in the pouring rain with no cover, they exchanged a few words and then hugged each other for the longest time. They were saying goodbye. Then Michael Stanford was off and despite the water that poured down all around him, Dr. Stanford wiped something wet that trickled down his cheek off with his handkerchief.