Chapter 7: A King's Duty

Chapter 7

            Torches light the great room in their amber glow. Tapestries with the Angelfire’s family crest and large paintings of Fairykind and Goblinkin at war with the Fairykind winning hang about the room. In the center of the room is a sizeable table, on the table lies a map of the same size as the table of the Mountain Valley. Little figurines of Fairykind and Goblinkin stand across the map.

Three Fairykind stand around the table; General Alistair, Captain Eshner Zane, an older Fairykind with short trimmer blond hair, battle harden eyes and one arm and Battle Chief Picol Reisler, young with wild brown hair and a thick goatee. Zane hold three figurines of Fairykind soldiers. None wore armor, instead they were dressed in comfortable togas.

“We have scouts here, here and here,” Zane explains as he places the figurines on the map along the River Celeste. Froud listens carefully as Zane continues, “They have orders to branch into the forest once the river is checked, just in case the Princess was able to make it to shore but got lost in the woods.”

Froud looked at the old kind, in times past Zane was Froud’s teacher in the art of war. No one knew the subject better. Zane had fought in the War of the River, a standoff with the wretched Goblinkin that lasted three blinks of the Eyes of the Goddess many, many seasons ago, when Froud was but a small kindling. It was before The Keep was built. The reason The Keep was built. He had also fought in one of the most devastating and crippling clashes with the Goblinkin in recent past, the Battle for The Spring of All, the battle where Zane lost his arm to General Chell, the Goblinkin’s Red Division Infantry Leader, at least now he is. It’s well known that cutting off Zane’s arm is what allowed Chell to rise in the ranks of the Goblinkin army, it’s even said that Chell still keeps Zane’s arm, as his prized trophy.

“What of the Goblinkin,” asks Froud?

“They seem to be staying away from the river, Sir,” Reisler point to the map, “I say we send in a group of kind into the Killing Field for a quick reconnaissance, just to cover our bases.”

Froud considered the young Reisler, one of the most ambitious kind he’s ever met. Reisler started training almost before he could walk or flutter almost as if he was born for battle. He joined the force on the day he came of age and ascended the ranks quicker than any other kind before him, even Froud. Reisler showed dedication, courage and, most importantly, ingenuity and resourcefulness like no other. This showed in large amounts when he and his scouting party got cut off in the treacherous Black Swamp, surrounded by a team of The Black Wings. The team’s overseers believe that the team was lost, until a lone Reisler walked into the Fairykind forest village, Calastro, three days later covered in blood and wounds and in a daze. When his Overseers asked what had happened, he said that he would only talk to General Froud and in private. When brought before Froud and behind closed doors he recalled the events of the scouting mission, what went wrong and how he got away. To this day only Froud and Reisler know the truth. After that meeting, Froud instantly promoted Reisler to Battle Chief and his primary adviser. Since then very few ever saw Froud and Reisler apart.

“Agreed,” Froud nodded.

“Our scouts on The Keep,” continued Reisler, “have reported increased activity on The Mounds. They have reported fires, camps and patrols”

Froud rubs chin thinking, “They’re expecting us to retaliate.”

“Yes, I believe so, Sir,” Reisler nods.

Froud fist slams against the table with such force that it knocked over all the figurines. Zane and Reisler jumps at the show of intense anger.

“Goddess be damned! It was all a set up!” Froud cursed.