Chapter 48

They were all seated in the living room. The atmosphere was suffocating, it made everyone tense and uncomfortable as every tick of the clock passes.

But that's to be expected, right?

It's something that they all have felt before. The tense atmosphere, those burning feelings that they've kept for who knows how long, these familiar faces that brings a painful throb in Samantha's chest everytime she looks at them.

"Look... " Samantha started, her voice was soft and careful as she look at her family with a little bit of fear and a little bit of determination. "I will never ever forget what Lydia did to me. Ever."

She just wants this to be over. Samantha's so desperate to find an outlet for all of this, but she knew, she definitely knew, that no matter what, it will always lead to this suffocating room where she'll have to be with the people who made her feel like she was unloved and unsecured.

"What she did to me... It's still replaying  like some clips from a movie and everytime I see it, it's always the same result. It always feels real. Too real." Samantha hugged herself as she tries to ignore the images of it as she explain.

But it's true though.

Her nightmares were still there. It's still in there.

Waiting for her to break.

It's still so eerie and a part of her is shouting bloody hell about her decision in forgiving Lydia but a big part of her is now trying to be at peace.

'Well... Still tying to find peace, I guess.' Samantha thought.

"But... " Sam paused and took a deep breath as she tries to held back the tears. "What she did to me? She was also hurting a-and I just feel like I was unfair, you know?"

A long endless highway, you're silent beside me.

Samantha softly cursed when she stuttered, she feels more emotional as she slowly open her feelings to them. She wants them to know how she felt.

And maybe, hopefully, they could do the same. She hope that they could be more open because that was one of the mistakes they have made before all of this came

Drivin' a nightmare I can't escape from.

"Samantha, sweetheart." Mom started, her eyes were glassy and full of guilt.

Samantha laughed, a watery and it almost sounded like a sob kind of laugh, came out of her before she could even stop herself.

They all stared.

No one spoke.

Helplessly praying, the light isn't fadin'

She took this opportunity to continue. "So I felt the need to..." Samantha swallowed the lump in her throat as she clamp her hands together in nervousness. "Talk to her because she was in so much pain, she was always there to bully me and pull some lies out of her bag just for her to release some anger on me but she did that because she was hurting. She was hurting. If you could have seen the way she looks at me. It looked like someone was killing her on the inside. She was hurting and I didn't do anything. It made me feel so lucky to have you guys now... To have a family that's nothing like hers."

Hiding in the shock and the chill in my bones.

Samantha looked at her family with a smile. A smile that made her feel afflicted. A smile that's full of emotions that no one will ever see or understand, a smile that even her family has never thought of seeing.