Chapter Twelve: Ciaran

I didn't want Ruari to come but I've just discovered how stubborn he could be. I could have argued with him until he caved but I didn't have the time. I have no doubt he'd follow us if I forced him to stay and Bran alone would not be able to hold him back.

He thinks I'm making him stay back because I see him weak, someone in need of protection, but that's not the reason at all.  Why couldn't he understand?

When the surviving patrol reported the attack my first instinct was to get him to safety. I don't want him anywhere near the men who're threatening to take his life. I want him at a safe distance, guarded and protected. It's not because I don't trust his abilities, it's simply because I want him safe. But he's damned bullheaded! Now he's running behind me, full speed towards danger.

I could smell the stench of spilled blood mixed in the air. I shifted and let Keiron take over. The others followed my lead and shifted behind me. Only Ruari kept running in his human form. If I weren't too preoccupied and worried about what's waiting ahead of us I'd be dumbfounded.

How could he keep up on his human form with half a dozen wolves running at full speed through the forest?

Once I heard the echoes of the fight I charged forward leaving the others to follow my trail. I jumped in the middle of the fray in time to save a member of my pack from being mauled to death.

I grabbed the ash colored wolf by its hind leg and dragged it away. He tried to snap back at me but I pulled harder and pinned him on the ground, satisfied when I heard his hind legs crack. A brown wolf came charging at me but I easily dodged it. I twisted my body before it could get its bearings and bit down on its shoulder digging my canines deep before shaking my head wildly taking a huge chunk of flesh.

The others arrived seconds after me but for some reason I couldn't sense Ruari. I started to panic and didn't notice another wolf charging towards me.

"Ciaran!" I heard Ruari cry out in time to see the wolf lunge in the air.

I crouched low ready for the impact but to my surprise Ruari appeared to cover me, grabbing the wolf by the throat in mid air. He slammed it on the ground a once, twice, over and over until it's rendered unconscious.

"You take that one!" He shouted pointing at the wolf on my right side. "I'll handle this one," pointing at the one not far from him.

I inclined my head in assent and charged forward. I had the wolf down when I heard Ruari shout out. I tore the wolf's throat out before looking up to find him. He had the wolf he was fighting with beaten. It was lying unmoving on the ground but another had its jaws clamped on his arm dragging him back. When Ruari didn't fall another charged forward and bit him on the shoulder successfully bringing him to his knees. I howled in anger and moved to help him but a huge blonde wolf blocked my way.

They're all after him. They're leaving the others wounded or dead but once they're free to attack they don't go for me or the other warriors, they charge towards Ruari.

"Lorcan! Help Ruari!!" I ordered through our pack link. I now have three wolves circling me and if someone doesn't help Ruari soon he might die.

I could see he's still on his knees trying to shake off his attackers. Why isn't he phasing? With vicious wolves four times his size charging with the intent to kill this is no time to fight in human form.

I saw my beta running from the other end of the clearing charging at the wolves blocking his path but I know he wouldn't make it. There were more wolves prancing around Ruari waiting for an opportunity to strike.

I felled one of the wolves in front of me but another showed up to take its place. They're keeping me away, preventing me from helping him. I moved for another kill but they kept on coming. I was starting to get desperate. Somebody have to help him fast!