Chapter 1

Ember's P.O.V.

School. I hate it. The crappy cafeteria food, rude boys, and God awful girls who don't know how to cover their butt and boobs. It's obnoxious.

I skipped down the stairs, being shoved around as usual, and headed to my locker. It felt so good to be leaving this prison. Forever.

I grabbed the last of my pictures and notebooks out of my locker, leaving it completely empty.

"Em!" I whipped around to face my only real friend here. "Macy! I didn't see you at lunch!" I hugged her, and then hoisted my backpack up onto my shoulders.

"Oh I was with Jay. So! Are you coming to the party on Sunday? It's gonna be the best!" I sighed, leaning forward, "M you know I'm not a party person. I don't even have anything to wear."

She tilted her head to the side, playfully glaring at me as her dirty blonde hair fell into her face. "Okay let me rephrase that. You're going with me to the party on Sunday. We need to find something for you to wear."

I should've expected that. "Oh fine. You're not gonna let me stay home anyway." A look of joy washed over her face, "Yay!" She clapped her hands together and jumped around. You would've never guessed that she had just finished her senior year.

"So we can go shopping tomorrow, and then get our nails done, and-" I cut her off mid-sentence. "Okay wait. I'm not getting my nails done, I'm getting a dress, maybe a new pair of heels, and some jewelry. That's. It."

"Oh you're no fun," she pouted. "Do you want me to go or not? I would be perfectly happy with laying in bed all day, eating pizza and watching movies." "Oh fine! But you'll go?" "Yes, I'll go," "Awesome!"

Her phone chimed and she read her text. "Oh it's Jay!" Her boyfriend of two and a half years. "I have to run, but I'll text you later!"

We said goodbye, and she sprinted out of the door, her boots thumping along with her. I took another deep breath, looking around me. Never again will I have to enter this hell hole.

I started off towards the dark, gray, front doors of the building, feeling excited and relieved. I stopped at the door and turned around, gazing at the last of the students who were getting ready to leave this place. Some just for the summer, and others(like me), for forever.

I said a happy goodbye, and stepped out into the early evening sunshine. It felt so good to be free. Free of stress. Free of drama. Free of feelings. No, I take that back.

I just wouldn't have to be constantly reminded about how the last time a guy asked me out, I was in my freshman year. I liked the guy, but not enough to put in the time and effort into a relationship. I was too young anyways.

I was definitely not "guy" material, or at least I didn't think so. My hair was long, and dirty blonde, and my eyes were hazel, with a bit of an amber color in them. I was lucky to have naturally tanned skin, but that was pretty much the only part of my body that I didn't despise.

I felt my neck was a tad too long, and my feet were about a size and a half too big for my 5 foot 3 body.

I made my way to my car. A deep blue bug. Typical, right? Well on my way home, I was thinking of someone. Unfortunately. This certain "someone" had held my thoughts for over three years, and to be honest, it was exhausting.

-----

After my quick five minute drive home, I made my way up the stairs of my front porch. My keys jangled in the lock, and the door flew open. I stepped in, and shut it behind me.

"Mom I'm home!" I called, dumping my backpack on the couch, "In the kitchen!" "Kay." I made my way to the kitchen, seeing my mom stationed at the stove, studying a recipe.