Chapter 2 - Logan

This is a SAMPLE only.

MAY 2022 UPDATE: Go read "Lucy", a spinoff of the Masked SheWolf trilogy, now updating on Wattpad, and its "Behind the Scenes" companion book that includes character profiles and a complete recap of the trilogy, as told by the characters in interview format.

***

Part of my training to become the pack alpha had included theoretical lessons. It's not enough to be strong, or a good leader, I also need to be equipped with knowledge. Most of what I learned was related to history, but I was also taught a bit of science, like biology and physics. My knowledge isn't advanced, I'm not a genius in any way. But I do have a basic understanding of several complicated concepts, because they might someday be helpful to the pack.

Sometimes, I went outside my training and did some research by myself. Once, Dr. Ackhart was explaining to me how REM sleep works. I started wondering about how we sometimes kick our legs or move around in our sleep, and whether or not it could be hazardous. He explained that something happens in REM sleep that prevents such movements, but that disrupting a REM cycle can cause something called sleep paralysis. That was one the things I was curious enough about to research on my own.

Sleep paralysis happens when you are either just waking up or just falling asleep. You are aware that you're awake, but you can't move. You feel like you're floating, because the coordinators of your body movement are activated, since you're dreaming of it, but you aren't actually moving. Some people experience hallucinations during sleep paralysis. There is a feeling of helplessness involved, because they know they are awake, but if they feel a dangerous presence with them, even though it's not real, they can't do anything to protect themselves. They just lie there, terrified.

This is the closest I can come to accurately describing my two-month coma. I experienced moments when I was truly asleep and dreaming regularly. But the moments when I was aware were like nightmares. I couldn't open my eyes to see what was happening around me. I couldn't move whenever someone took my hand. I heard them talking to me, but I couldn't talk back. The first few days were the worst. I was in a lot of pain from the fresh stab wound, and I couldn't do anything to ease it. I heard my friends' reactions to seeing me, and it killed me that there was nothing I could do to let them know I was still here. Sadie cried and clutched my hand painfully. She kept repeating that she was sorry, but I wasn't able to tell her that it wasn't her fault. Dr. Ackhart examined me and concluded that he didn't understand what was wrong with me but that he thought I was going to be fine. I couldn't yell at him that it was notfine.

The worst was Dylan's reaction. It was unbearable hearing her call for me, her voice completely heartbroken. She was still recovering, and she should have been resting. I was angry with her parents for letting her out of bed.

"Please, I need you to come back," she cried. "I'm right here for you, and I'm waiting. Just please, open your eyes, baby."

Then it happened.

You can't leave me, she whispered, sending her thoughts out to me. I need you. Please, Logan.

Up until that point, all my attempts to communicate with her in my mind had been futile, but I wondered if I could try again. It didn't work at first, because whenever I started saying something to her, it would get cut off by a migraine, like there was an unseen force pushing my thoughts back into my head. But I finally managed to say her name.

I knew she heard me because she gasped and thought, Did I just hear right?

With effort, I was able to say her name again. She crushed my hand with both of hers, but I couldn't care less. This was the first time I had finally been able to let someone know that I'm still here. More importantly, it was the first time she had ever heard my thoughts.