Chapter 0.1

"We're getting married!"

Those three words are what lead me to spend my last four weekends packing boxes. Her and Des had only been dating for about 8 months when he finally proposed. I wasn't upset at all, I actually quite liked him. He bought me gifts often and treated my mother like a queen. I wouldn't go as far as to say that he was a father to me, but I would consider him a father figure. My biological father passed away in a car accident when I was barely 6 years old. The 12th year anniversary of his passing lands on the day before my 18th birthday.

"Angel! Could you please help me carry the sofa to the other room?" Des called out to me. I walked into the other room and helped him.

We're moving into Des' house in 2 days so all of our main furniture is either being taken to his place or moved into a storage unit. I was glad to move, this house was small and outdated, as was the majority of our suburb. Des' house is huge and luxurious, with 6 rooms, 3 bathrooms and an incredible view. The upstairs had a lounge room, a kitchenette, 2 bathrooms, and 3 bedrooms; a spare room, my new room, and Des' son's room. However, he had been in Britain for the past two years with his mother, so the upstairs area was pretty much all mine which I was rather happy with.

It was Sunday today which meant family dinner. Mum ordered Chinese food from our local restaurant and the three of us, mum, Des and I sat around the fireplace in my kitchen and ate.

"So, second last week of school forever and second last day living in this house. Big things coming your way huh Angel?" Mum broke the silence.

I let out a sigh and smiled. "Yeah, so weird to think that I'll be done with high school in just two weeks. I mean now I have to get a job and start thinking of my future..."

Des laughed. "Well there's no rush for any of that dear, your mother and I will always support you financially and you'll figure out what to do when the time is right. Harry graduated 6 years ago and he still hasn't figured his life out yet."

Harry. Des' son and my soon to be stepbrother. I've never met him, but from the sounds of it, I don't think the two of us would have anything in common. He threw away a scholarship to some prestigious university for partying. When he turned 22, Des confronted him about his behavior and instead of owning up to it, Harry moved to Britain to live with his mum. So Des says at least, he has a habit of over exaggerating stories.

We all laugh and continue making small talk until I decide to have a shower and get into bed. Mum and Des came in and said goodnight to me, then went to bed themselves. I checked my phone after almost being off it for 5 hours. I saw a message from my boyfriend, Nathan.

NATHAN: Hey Angel how's the packing coming? x

ANGEL: Good actually! The move is so soon now x

He replied instantly.

NATHAN: So exciting! I miss you x

ANGEL: I miss u too, sneak in tonight??? ((;

NATHAN: I shouldn't, we have exams all this week and I need a good sleep )): x

ANGEL: Fuck I forgot about exams ):

ANGEL: Are you sure??

NATHAN: okay fine you convinced me, see you in 20 x

Nathan parked his car at the house across the street and I met him at the back door with arms wide open. He gave me a peck and we quietly walked down the hallway to my bedroom.

"Come here beautiful." He pulled me into a kiss that lasted a minute but felt like seconds. He had soft lips and I liked how they felt. Nathan and I have been dating since we were 13 and we were only a few months away from our 5-year anniversary.

He's barely taller than me and much skinnier than I am but I loved this about him. His face, as white as ever and covered in freckles with his hair as dark as the night sky, he was like a freckled snow white. We lay in bed, talking about our days, cuddling and occasionally having a kiss here and there. Eventually, the time had come for him to leave we said our 'I love you's' and our 'goodbyes' and then he left leaving me as smitten as ever.