Arriana's Return - Chapter 21

Chapter 21

He leaned in, put his mouth next to her ear and whispered, "I'll follow you to the ends of the earth, for all time. I am yours, completely."

He kissed her lightly on the cheek causing her to turn a deep shade of red. Her breath caught in her throat and a warm, tingling feeling ran through her entire body.

"Thanks Deacon," she managed to choke out weakly.

Her heart was still pounding, she could her the blood thump in her ears.

"No problem Arriana," he called over his shoulder as he walked down the hallway.

Arriana walked slowly to the locker room and fumbled around her bag for her suit. She tried calming herself but her mind was stuck on that kiss.

It wasn't a kiss. He simply pressed his lips to your cheek. It was friendly.

On deck she started to rummage through the folder of workouts and picked out the best ones for the team. After dividing everyone up into their lanes and shouting out their workouts she slowly slipped into her lane and stood there watching for a few minutes. Zach stood next to her just watching.

"You do know we're supposed to be swimming as well right?" he asked.

"Yeah I know. We're going. Don't worry they won't finish before us," she told him.

"Do I look worried, my dear Arriana?" he questioned in his typical goofy tone.

"Of course, not you, you swimming god." Arriana rolled her eyes.

Laughing the two set off on their workout wondering where their coach was. After an hour Arriana climbed out of the pool. Every muscle in her body ached.

"Alright. I'm heading up to coaches office for a sec. Finish up the weekly timed sprints. Zach will time everyone."

Groans went up amongst everybody.

"Oh stop. I'm not that bad." Zach shook his head and picked up the whistle and stopwatch.

Arriana watched for a few minutes before she suddenly had a strange feeling wash over her. Almost like a dream, she was standing in Marc's office. She was standing there looking around. She saw the coach and yelled out his name, but he didn't pay attention. She couldn't move or hear herself. She was frozen in the spot for such a long time.

Snapping out of it, Arriana glanced around. She'd only zoned out for a few seconds.

How is that possible? I was there for at least ten minutes!

Looking around quickly to make sure nobody saw her, she ran up the stairs to the boys' locker room.

What was that? It really felt like I was standing in the office! Is something wrong with Marc?

Going towards the light that flooded the darkened room, she began to get even more worried about him. Her heart slammed against her chest and cold sweat broke out on her forehead. It was not like Marc not to show up to practice, especially since he was the coach. As she neared the door she heard muffled voices talking from beyond the heavy oak door. There were two shadows dancing on the floor in the pool of orange light. Slowing a bit she crept to the crack in the side, leaning in as close to it as she could possibly get she saw Marc and a woman talking. She couldn't see the woman because her back was to the door but the voice sounded vaguely familiar.

"I should have known it was you," Marc said angrily

"It has been a long time Marc," the mysterious woman said.

"What are you doing here? How did you get here?" he questioned, sounding bewildered.

"That night the little brat was brought here I was sent before the fake king could close the ingress, just as a precaution."

Who is this woman? Did she call me a brat? Should I interrupt now or wait?

Marc's voice was barely audible. "You'll never find out who she is."

"I already know you dimwit," the woman replied coldly.

"How? We, we were so careful."

"Not that careful. You know, I might be a woman but I'm not stupid. Your precious Arriana is living on borrowed time," she said with such an icy tone it sent chills done Arriana's spine.

"She is stronger than you think she is." Marc was steadily raising his voice.

"Oh, did I hurt your feelings? You don't like it when people talk shit on Charles and his precious baby girl do you? Do you really think Lucas would send a moron to take care of a witch as powerful as she is supposed to be? I'll bet she doesn't even know how to use all that power yet. If she has even realized what she has. Such a waste of power. She'll be the easiest to kill."

"What happened to you Theresa? You used to be such a, a,"

"A what? A good person? A good witch? Not anymore. King Lucas was a bit more persuasive and paid a lot more than King Charles ever would have," she retorted.

"How could you turn your back on your people? Lucas doesn't even like the magical folk of Coresova. Do you think he will let you live? Are you so naïve? Now what are you going to do? Kill her? Prevent her from defeating Lucas? It's pretty pathetic of him to send a woman to do his job don't you think?" Marc began to provoke her.

"He is King Lucas and he will never kill me. He loves me. Once this...obstacle...is taken care of I shall rule by his side as queen. The rightful queen of Coresova. How is he pathetic? Of all men in these worlds, you should know just how powerful I am. You're the pathetic one. I'm even more powerful than that little bitch! I'll show you one last time before I kill you as well," she growled at Marc.

"What?"

"You honestly thought I was sent here just to kill the kid? I was sent to kill all of you," Theresa said through a laugh.

She was standing so close to Marc he could feel her hot breath on his throat. She leaned in close and gently kissed it. Arriana could see Marc shiver at the touch of the woman's lips.