Chapter 5

Chapter 5

It was evening and opening my eyes, I realized I wasn’t in my own bed.

The woman next to me stirred and without turning, she said,

“I guess you’ll need to go soon.”

I didn’t want to reply, as what she said was true and had been for the best part of two years now.

But the fact remained that although I seemed to have the perfect life, my perfect marriage was far from that.

True enough, Lynne was a wonderful mother and a true ambassador for the expat life, but since the children had come along, we had drifted in separate directions.

Though we both enjoyed the lifestyle we had, it just wasn’t enough to have a platonic relationship with the woman I had shared my life with for the best part of twenty years.

Lynne and I drifting apart like icebergs in a freezing ocean was, I reasoned, the catalyst for me looking to another woman for comfort.

For sure, if it was just sex that I wanted, I could have done what over ninety percent of expat husbands did and just pick up any one of the numbers of beautiful girls who frequent the bars and clubs of Bangkok city nightlife and pay her for what is normally known as a “short time.”

But as is the way with all things in my life, I needed more and that connection, that intimacy, and bedding a girl whose name I wouldn’t remember and who had probably slept with any number of guys, just didn’t hold any appeal for me.

It wasn’t as if I was intentionally seeking someone, but when I saw her, I found myself unable to turn away.

Perry Samovach had come to work at my firm on the recommendation of one of my other staff who was due to go on maternity leave.

She came to the company with a degree in English and a college diploma in accountancy.

Meeting her for the first time I was surprised at how shy she appeared and how although she dressed demurely for the office environment, it just seemed to make her more alluring in my eyes.

So much so that I was sure she knew when I was looking at her, as she would just turn to me and give me a smile of perfectly even, gleaming white teeth, which made me sort of feel that I was a clumsy teenager all over again.

She stood at only about 5ft 5’’ and uncommonly for Thai women, she wore her hair in highlighted auburn curls, instead of the traditional silky-straight, long, black mane.

Nevertheless, her hair, together with her killer figure and that smile that would melt the hardest of hearts, made me begin to think of the possibilities.

It wasn’t until Perry had worked for me for several months that I plucked up the courage to ask her to go for a drink with me and I thought at first she would say no, as she took so long to answer. But then she simply said, “Ok. See you when we finish work today.” And at that she turned and went back to work without a smile or look back.

Later that day, we walked together to the bar at the Intercontinental Hotel, which was only a few hundred metres from my office and the real Perry, the one I was hoping for, was revealed to me.

She came from a good family in Phichit, a large town a few hours’ drive north of Bangkok.

Her uncle had paid her university fees as her parents could not and she doted on her family, especially her nieces.

She spoke passionately about what she wanted to achieve in life, her politics, her loves and hates and I was just happy to listen and not interrupt.

The conversation took a cooler turn, however, when the conversation turned to that of my family.

And she listened intently as I explained how things had turned out between Lynne and I.

“Do you still love her, Khun Frank?” she asked, still using the formal word for Mr.

“Just Frank, please. And yes I do. But as the mother of my kids.”

It was very true, Lynne and I hadn’t slept together in a long time and it seemed that we were both making excuses not to spend time in each other’s company anymore, with the exception of doing things with James and Melissa.

“I don’t want to be a Mia Noi.” Perry said.

Mia Noi, translated to minor wife and was still a common situation in Thai culture, where the husband would take a mistress, often with the knowledge of his first wife.

“I understand, but it’s still early days for you and me.” I replied.

“Yes, it is,” smiled Perry in her demure, but so sexy way.”I will give you time Frank. But not forever.”

Our relationship went from strength to strength and I although I realized I was wrong for this affair, I knew before too long, that I had met someone I could be with for good.

True, I felt the guilt resulting from deceiving my wife and true again that I would have to tell Lynne about Perry.

But now was not the time.

Aside from our personal relationship, Perry worked like a Trojan and she organized, reorganized and strengthened my office and made the working life for everyone easier and for that alone I was grateful.

Everything else was a golden bonus.

“I guess you’ll need to go soon.”

I turned to Perry and replied sadly, “I guess so.”

We’d been together so long now that the doorway to her condo was like a mega-strength magnet that pulled me back to this woman I truly did love.

“This weekend.” I said suddenly.

“Hmmm?”

“I’m going to tell Lynne this weekend.” I said, looking into Perry’s eyes.

“You’re sure? You don’t have to yet Frank.”

I couldn’t believe how patient she was being, but neither could I allow things to just plod on the way they were.

“It’s time baby. I love you and it’s time.”

Perry kissed me softly and said, “I love you too tilac,” as I walked out of the door.