Fortis | Duodecim

The snow continued to fall, the puffy flecks melting as they touched my flushed cheeks. They landed in my hair and clothes, clinging to the top layer of fabric. I wore a thin jacket and a baggy shirt underneath; I wasn't cold despite the low temperatures. Fortis stood tall beside me, only wearing a black T-shirt and worn jeans. I crossed my arms over my chest and looked to my left, all the way down the rusting railroad track that was wedged between two mountains.

I couldn't believe that we were leaving again, we hadn't even stayed in West Virginia for a week. But I couldn't complain for it was my fault. I had killed someone. An innocent, nameless person. Fortis said that the older Lycans would eventually come for us. They had told us not to mess up and that's exactly what I did. Guilt flooded my stomach and I peeked at Fortis out of the corner of my eye. He breathed out, creating a puff of visible air out of his mouth. He looked annoyed and angry, but he always mirrored those expressions. I sighed.

I hitched my backpack higher up my back and said, “Where are we going to go?”

“Dunno,” Fortis replied. “Anywhere but here, though.”

“I liked it here.”

“So did I, Mercy,” he almost whispered.

Goosebumps scattered across my skin when he said my name. I shifted my weight onto my other foot. “I'm really sorry.”

“Oh, my God, stop apologizing.”

I huffed, my brows contorting together. “I'm trying to be nice for messing u—”

“Then stop; you killed someone. Big fucking deal, little girl.”

The tide shifted and I didn't feel guilty anymore. I felt annoyed. Only Fortis could manage to make me feel two opposite emotions within seconds. A glare was fixed onto my face. My mouth pressed into a tight, straight line.

A train whistle blew in the distance, slightly ringing in my ears. I looked to my left, seeing smoke puff into the gray sky. I squinted through the snow as Fortis shifted beside me. “Remember the plan?” he asked for the nth time.

I rolled my eyes. “Yes, we've only been over it five-hundred times.”

“Be careful, little girl.”

I whipped my head to glare at him. “Stop calling me that,” I growled out.

His eyes trialed down to my lips then to my eyes. With a low voice he said, “I do what I want, little girl.”

“I swe—”

“Be quiet, the train's coming.”

Biting back my retort, I uncrossed my arms. I forced the thought of Fortis out my head; I couldn't afford a distraction to what were about to do. My mind connected with my body, pumping adrenaline through my veins which caused my fingertips to tingle. We both knew we only had one shot to jump on the train. Just thinking about surviving by myself—without the assistance of Fortis—made an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach.

I readied my feet on the ground, spreading them a foot apart. I tried copying Fortis's stance to the best of my undeveloped abilities. The train blew its whistle again, it's bright headlights cutting through the thickening snow. Fortis spoke loudly above the noise. “Remember, it's the sixth car from the end.”

I didn't reply. I was nervous but I wasn't about to tell Fortis. Blinking fiercely to clear the falling snow from my lashes, I began counting the cars that trailed behind the engine of the fast-paced train. The wind whipped my hair in my face, in front of my eyes. Spitting out the blonde strands, I pushed them behind my ear. The momentary distraction caused me to lose count of the cars and the end of them was coming close. My heart raced in my chest and uncertainty filled my chest. But as the car passed, Fortis vanished from my side. I counted the wrong car and it was disappearing with a fast velocity.