Nature Boy

It was a sunny day and Joseph Merrick seemed restless during Treves' visit. The other couldn't help but notice it.

"What ails you, Joseph?"

He didn't answer at first.

The doctor smiled candidly and said:

"You know you can tell me anything."

Joseph hesitated. Till he started talking about books. That didn't make much sense, in the context. Mr. Merrick sighed and confessed he never had the chance to visit the countryside, except as viewed from a wagon on a dusty high road...

"Mr. Treves, if it's not asking too much... I'd love the chance to visit the countryside to observe nature and experience it at first hand. Like I said, I read so much about it in books! I have never wandered among the fields nor followed the windings of a wood. I have never climbed to the brow of a breezy down, neither gathered flowers in a meadow!"

Even besides Joseph's problematic way of speaking, Treves was moved by his rhetoric.

"Joseph, that is a perfectly feasable request. I'll see what I can do immediatelly."

"Oh, thank you, Mr. Treves!"

Treves went on the move right away. Joseph was grateful and exultant.

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

A Lady Louisa Knightley offered him a cottage on the private estate of Fawsley Park, situated near Northampton. Joseph was so happy, for there he could have the run of a cottage without restriction.

The difficulties lied upon how to travel.

But Mr. Merrick was used to the arrangements needing to be especially elaborate. So, he went concealed inside the depths of a carriage with its blinds drawn.

Then, he finally arrived at Fawsley Park.

Joseph was intended to stay in a small cottage as guest of one of the estate workers and his wife, who would see to all his needs.

But when the wife saw him...

"Oh my God! A monster!"

And she burst into tears.

Then, a ginger freckled girl, very thin, tall, her wild wavy hair against the wind, went to see what the commotion was about.

"Ma, what-Oh, my!" exclaimed the ginger.

The girl couldn't deny she had taken the fright of her life. Joseph was embarrassed.

"MA!" the ginger called.

But the robust woman covered her eyes with her apron and was already running through the fields.

And the thin girl with a ponytail was at a loss. Staring at Merrick, dumbfounded.

Finally, a man, a redhead man like the girl, showed up.

"Sorry, Mr. Merrick, about my wife and daughter's behavior. Name's Brennan. I'll take you to the gamekeeper's cottage. You'll be comfortable there."

"Hey Da, don't take him yet! He'll think all Irish women are impolite! It was just a first impact! And second, and third!" the girl laughed. "I did nothing!"

Joseph was utterly confused. That girl was so small... She should be more scared than her mother!

Then, her father held her.

"Aye, that's my Saoirse. Just like her Da. Let me take you there, Mr. Merrick."

Saoirse kept staring at the two men, all curiosity.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Saoirse was lying on the grass bathing on the moonlight, in her undergarments. She had been doing that for years, until her current nineteens, to get rid of her freckles.

Then, she saw him, walking, no, better, limping around the gamekeeper's cottage.

Without an ounce of common sense, she ran towards him.

Joseph almost had a heart attack. Such a luminous, beautiful creature...

"So! I have a question. Don't be offended. What happened to your face?"

Unfortunately, Joseph's expression for smiles were frozen, but he was laughing.

"I'm sorry. I've offended you," apologized Saoirse.

She was leaving. He didn't want her to leave. She smellt like plants and wild flowers. It was so good.

"Stay."

The redhead stared at him, scared. It was a peculiar sound, but she could understand.

She had forgotten he was a human being. That he could even speak.

Saoirse felt horrible. What should she do to make amends for her thoughts? For her mother's reaction?

For the life he must lead.

"Don't cry. Please. I'm sorry..." he offered her a handkerchief.

She hadn't even realized she had been crying.

"I don't even know you. And yet, I cry for you."

"I can't smile because of my deformities, but I would. That's the most beautiful thing a stranger has done for me."

She grabbed his hands, for his surprise, and stared at the moon. Joseph was trembling.

"You know what I've always liked the best? Soaking on the moon. My freckles never get better. But at least, the moon brings me peace."

They sat on the grass, hand in hand.

"I'll pray the moon will cure me from my bronchitis. Even though it is a pagan thing to do."

Saoirse laughed out loud.

"And I'll always pray for you, Mr. Merrick, even though I don't believe in God."

"You don't believe in God?" he asked, surprised.

"Oh, don't sound so disappointed, Mr. Merrick. It's not like we have to marry. And even if we had, I think I could stand a believer," she said and winked at him.

He couldn't believe his ears. Even as a joke, that statuesque red was considering to marry him! He couldn't be more moved.

"Joseph," he croaked.

Saoirse stared at him, a question in her emerald eyes.

"Joseph. Please, call me 'Joseph'," he said with blurry eyes.

"Call me Saoirse, Joseph."

He squeezed her hand and they stayed there until early dawn.