The End

Ollie came to Rita's door twenty minutes early. "You're early," Rita said.

"I couldn't wait to see you. I want to get going," Ollie replied.

"All right then let's get moving." Rita hesitated before closing the door. She looked around the apartment like she had forgotten something.

"Are you alright?" Ollie asked. "Let's go."

"Yes, I just..." Rita hesitated, "I have a funny feeling I forgot something. That's all."

"You don't need anything, so there's nothing to forget."

Locking the door, Rita said, "You're right. Let's go."

Rita looked at Ollie. "I have never seen you in shorts and a golf shirt. You look good. I mean relaxed and casual."

Laughing, Ollie said, "Thanks, I think."

"No, I mean it. You have nice legs. And your ass isn't bad either." Rita stopped.

"What's wrong."

"I thought we were going for a drive. Where is the Alpha Romeo?"

"Oh, I changed my mind. I have a different trip in mind for you today."

Why do I feel so uneasy, Rita thought? "Where?"

"Now that's a surprise. I can't tell you yet, but it will be a trip of a lifetime."

That didn't make Rita feel any better.

Ollie stood holding the door to the black town car open for her. "Coming, my dear?"

It didn't sound like a question. What's gotten into him?

Rita smiled. "Yes, of course."

Before getting into the car, Rita looked up and down the street. The hairs were standing up on her neck again, and she couldn't figure out why.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Joe looked at his phone, blocked number. "Hello?"

"Joe, it's Ollie."

Joe hesitated. "Yeah."

"Joe, I do not have a lot of time to explain, but someone kidnapped Rita, and I believe she only has hours to live."

Joe sat up straight in his chair. "What?"

"Rita is in danger, and I need your help," Ollie said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"I don't understand, but how can I be of service?"

"Can you check CTV cameras around Rita's apartment? You are looking for a fancy car. Probably black, like a town car. He likes those."

"Who likes them?" Joe asked.

"No time to explain now. I will explain everything later. Can you help?"

"Yeah, I can, but why should I help you?"

"Because Rita's life depends on us finding her in the next hour or we will never see her again. And I cannot let that happen."

The last line was in a voice that made Joe shudder.

"I will get right on it. If I can see the car, then what? Do you want me to put out a BOLO for it?"

"No. No one else can know about this. He will be listening."

"Who will and how do you know?"

"Because I would be listening," Ollie said simply.