CHAPTER 14: HEAD ON HAND COLLISION

Luke didn't want to just stand and watch as the Zengan tried to impale Sirius with its massive horns. However, Luke knew he wasn't equipped with the knowledge or the skills to stop this creature.

Yet Sirius was in the same year as him, a simple dove, and he mustered up the courage to defend his school. Why couldn't Luke do the same?

Sirius made dodging the speeding yak look as easy as dodging a ball thrown by an infant in dodgeball. He swept aside, uncurled his left hand, and switched on his sword of light.

Also making his appearance on the battlefield was Dean Ammon in his salmon colored dress shirt and white SGA tie. He didn't question why Sirius was there. He just rolled with it. "Sirius, keep the bull away from the soldiers while I defrost them."

"Yes sir," Sirius said pinching his nose and talking in a nasally voice. "Hey smelly fur ball, I got some soap for you over here."

The Zengan bellowed as if soap was its archenemy. It charged Sirius, who was leading the yak to the opposite side of the battlefield while the Dean unfroze soldiers with a touch of his hand. He seemed to absorb the ice into his meaty hands like it was in its liquid state.

"Step away from the window son," Mr. Faustin said again. "I don't want to repeat myself a third time."

The soldiers, Luke thought. I can at least help the Dean defrost the soldiers. Luke looked back at the teacher and apologized. "Sorry mister," and then he popped open the window and leaped outside. The furious yelling of Mr. Faustin behind him could've been mistaken for the bellows of the Zengan.

Luke ran to the nearest frozen soldier whose body was frozen in place from the neck down. The soldier ordered him to return to class. "It's too dangerous out here for a dove like you."

"Yet I'm not frozen," Luke said as he concentrated on summoning the flame in the palm of his right hand. He snapped his fingers and dancing to life was a red and orange flame. He held it close to the ice and started melting it. The soldier struggled as the ice was melting, cracking it once it got weaker. Then he broke free and collapsed to the ground with his legs looking like spaghetti.

"I'm numb all over," the soldier complained. "Thanks dove."

Luke corrected him. "My name's Luke, and I'm no simple dove." He looked at the next soldier and made his way towards him. Off in the distance he could see Sirius pulling some Matrix moves, dodging icy cannonballs, and blinding the bull. He struck with his sword of light, but the sword couldn't connect either. Luke couldn't help wondering what the heck was beneath that fur that not even a sword of light could pass through?

The strike Sirius made had bounded back and sent him flying as he cursed with his eyes closed.

A mirror, Luke thought. That could be the only explanation for how it can reflect light—a really strong reflective surface that not even light can pass through. But if bullets failed to shatter the glass, then what could pierce that yak's armor?

Luke ran up into the Dean, who put his icy hands out to stop Luke. It felt like a doctor pressing a cold stethoscope against his chest. "Why aren't you in class?"

"I couldn't just stand there and watch."

The Dean seemed to chew on this for a second until he realized that there was a crazy Yak on the loose. "Don't let your thirst for courage and recognition get you killed." He looked towards the three remaining soldiers frozen in ice. "Deal with them. I'm going to have a chat with the beast," he said rolling up his sleeves to expose hairy arms. He marched over towards the beast with anger in his steps. Luke felt sorry for the beast.