Chapter 6: Conversations and Combat

Tauriel's eyelids creaked open, and for a moment she couldn't remember where she was. She replayed her memories of the night before. We fought the Uruk-hai ... then there was rain ... and we parted from the villagers ... She vaguely recalled shuffling back to camp with the surviving Dúnedain and returning to Legolas's tent. Tauriel blushed and looked down, realizing she lay on his bed roll again. Confused, she scanned the tent. 

There in the corner opposite her, her blond comrade lay curled up with his head propped up on his cloak. From the way his body lay sprawled out, Tauriel deduced he'd collapsed on the ground, as exhausted as she'd been. And he gave me his bed? Tauriel was touched by his selflessness and felt a warmth seep through her chest. 

The warmth only emphasized the cool mountain air around her, causing Tauriel to shiver. She tossed back the blanket only to feel stabs of pain clutch at her neck and shoulders. Almost like the Uruk's claws were still there. She sucked in a breath between her teeth, but forced her aching body to slowly creep out of bed. She retrieved her cloak lying next to her and pulled it over her bandaged shoulders. Though she was healing quickly, she couldn't help but groan as her muscles protested every action.

Legolas jolted awake, his unfocused eyes darting around. Tauriel smiled and walked over to him. "Be still. Let yourself rest."

He smiled at her approach. "Tauriel," he breathed and settled back down as if in sleep.

She sat beside his legs and pulled her knees to her chest. With a cocky raise of her brow, she asked, "Wasn't I sleeping there last night?"

He grinned bashfully, his eyes still closed. "I tried to wake you, but my attempts were futile. So I carried you over to the bed." Here he paused, and his voice grew gentler as if remembering a daydream. "You never stirred."

An image unbidden came to Tauriel's mind - Legolas's carrying her in his arms, their faces so close ... And he did all that when he was wounded. Normally, Tauriel would think the act foolish, but she couldn't help feeling touched by his kindness. She rested her chin on her knees and scanned the contours of his face. The strong jaw line. His mouth which rarely smiled, but that made his smiles all the more special. "You didn't have to do that," she murmured.

"It's the least I could do," Legolas replied as he rolled onto his back. His brow drew together worriedly. "Considering last night's fiasco is my fault."

Tauriel jolted forward, leaning on her hands. "How so?"

He looked on her with such grief. "I've been selfish, Tauriel. I intentionally delayed completing my mission to find the true king of Men by staying with the Dúnedain. Working with them has given me so much purpose, so much life..." His voice trailed off. "I didn't want it to end." He rolled onto his side, his back to her. "If I'd found the true king sooner, maybe last night wouldn't have happened. Maybe the king would've convinced the villagers to return to Dale. Then, no Dúnedain would've-." His voice choked. 

Tauriel understood Legolas could never escape his royal background, his training to look after subjects before himself. While she grieved with him, Tauriel also felt proud of him. He'll make a great king of Mirkwood, she thought. She scooted closer to his head and laid her hand on his broad shoulder. "Legolas," she said softly. Though he didn't look at her, he did tilt his head to listen better. Tauriel pressed on. "You saw how obstinate those villagers were. Who can say they wouldn't have faced the Uruks anyway? Even with a king to protect them? You did right by staying with the Dúnedain ... You deserve to be happy, too."

He rolled over to face her. When he did, his back leaned against her knees. Tauriel's heartbeat quickened and held Legolas's gaze with baited breath. He suddenly looked nervous, but also hopeful. There they sat with Legolas lying half in Tauriel's lap and her leaning over him. And though Tauriel felt jittery, she knew this time it wasn't from fear. In fact, this position somehow felt right.