Chapter 2- Re-Meeting Adam

CHAPTER 2- Re-Meeting Adam

There was a period of time when Adam and I didn't really talk. It wasn't because we'd fallen out, not at all, we just didn't really see each other; Adam had started secondary school (6th grade). And even when I started secondary school we still didn't really see each other much as his sister and I were slowly growing apart over the years now that we were at secondary school. Well we saw each other constantly in the halls but not to talk to, and boy was it agony. Each time I turned a corner and saw a flash of red I knew it was him. My heart would start beating like a drummer high on drugs and my stomach would turn flips; would he look at me? If he didn't look at me my day would be ruined, I'd feel crushed, and then I'd start hating him in my mind (crazy I know) but if he did look at me, and smile his infectious smile, or mouth hello I would melt and feel on cloud nine. But then I'd come crashing back down to reality, because I knew with each smile, each time he looked at me I was falling deeper in obsession, and despite loving it, I loathed it even more.

I know I'm talking about loving him so much, but even though I did during that time, we weren't close. Hell some people wouldn't even classify that as friends. I guess it was the Christmas just before I turned 14 when I joined explorers that our friendship began to rebuild itself. Even then it was just baby steps, elongated conversations alone were still a bit stilted and awkward but things were gradually getting better.

Our re meeting didn't reach it's highest point really until summer camp 7 months later, at the end of July. Even though we were talking much more, we still weren't what I'd call firm friends, but after summer camp...well.

That year we were camping in a big field near the beach, surrounded by a luscious green forest; in short it was heaven. Although there were few of us compared to other years we didn't get lonely, in fact the opposite, we all grew closer.

I don't remember all of camp I just remember the main moments with him. How on the first night when it started chucking it down with rain he walked me to the tent where my coat was, "I'd give you my coat to wear, but I'm not really what you'd call a gentlemen" he said smirking, poking my side, "oh don't worry I know that, you're not a gentlemen, you're a lady!" I retorted back, smiling slyly at him.

It drove me mad how he always poked and tickled me (yes tickling is my kryptonite) but that would also make me feel so special because he was paying me attention, but then he'd go and poke stupid Vanessa -don't get me wrong i like Vanessa, in fact she's one of my best friends now, but when jealousy rears it's ugly head, you start hating anyone in your way. And suddenly after thinking that maybe he liked me I started doubting and thinking that maybe he acted that way with everyone.

Then one night, I can't remember which, we were in the mess tent playing cards, "Hey Saphs you look like you're about to fall asleep, you ok?" He asked tenderly. I stared into his deep brown eyes, eyes that were filled with genuine concern. I nodded at him, a smile playing shyly across my lips.

"Here, why don't you take my hoody, its nice and warm. And no don't even think about saying no Saphire Cordoba, I am going strongly against my womanly characteristics by offering you my hoody, I'm not used to being a gentlemen, I don't swap genders at the drop of a hat for just anyone you know!" His eyes twinkled while saying this.

I laughed my response "Oh wow, don't worry Adam Wrightson i feel blessed that you'd do such a thing for me, truly honoured!" he chuckled, his face looking truly happy. After both of us hiccuped the laughter away, he thrust his hoody at me, I reluctantly accepted and put my head down and closed my eyes.

Not a minute later I felt someone breathing less than an inch away from me; I didn't need to open my eyes to know it was him. "Thanks Adam," I murmured gratefully, he turned over facing away from me.