Prologue

Jennifer's running through the woods. It's almost light outside. The air is musty, and damp. Everything seems so green. So peaceful.  Except this feeling she can't shake off. She's being chased. By something terrible, something so horrible.  She knows it's behind her.  Fighting the curiosity that's just begging her to turn around and see how close it is, what it's next move is, she keeps running forward.

        Then she smells smoke.  It smells like burning wood.  The trees- the trees are on fire.  That thing set the trees on fire.  She could hear it.  Breathing, so heavy. Each stomp it made sounded like an explosion.  Its growls seemed to come from hell its self.  The smoke was starting to make her eyes tear.  She could feel it invading her lungs, taking away the breathe she had left.

        She didn't stop.  She knew she must keep running.  She can't let this thing catch her.  That would be worse than death - worse than anything else that she could possibly imagine.  So she kept running. Her head was pounding, Her throat aching.  Her lungs were on fire, begging for more oxygen, for the smoke to go away.  Her legs felt heavy, she was becoming light headed.

        "NO!"  Jennifer screamed, "YOU WON'T HAVE ME.  I WON'T LET YOU."   She looked anywhere but behind her.  The fire was quickly catching up.  The green liveliness of the forest started to fade.  Everything seemed grey. Not black, nor white. Grey.

        Jennifer's heart raced.  What happened to the color.  Was she going insane?  She looked around in a panic.  In that panic, she stumbled over the root of a huge tree.  This was it.  She knew it.  It was so close.  She was about to fall face-first on to the cold hard ground.

        Then, Just as her head was about to hit a rock on the ground, ... A hand caught her. 

She didn't know who's.  She couldn't tell.  She couldn't even think.  Maybe it was on it's side.  Was she going to be tortured for information she didn't have?  She didn't know their plan.  They wouldn't tell her.  Every time she asked, they pushed her out of the room and slammed the door in her face.

        "JUST KILL ME ALREADY!"  Jennifer shouted, "I WON'T TELL YOU ANYTHING! I'M USELESS TO YOU!"   She heard laughter from whoever was holding her.  Then the kidnapper took her by the hand, and pulled her up.  Before she could wonder what was going on, the kidnapper started running. And she was forced to run right behind her.  

        All Jennifer could see was the back of this person- this, girl.  She was stronger than she looked,  Jennifer thought that was obvious by the way this girl had just pulled her up and was able to basically drag Jennifer behind her.

        This girl had long black hair.  So black it was as if it wasn't even there.  It reached down to her butt.  Her arms were frail, just like the rest of her seemed to be.  She was wearing black skinny jeans with white skulls decorating them.  She couldn't see any of the girls shirt.  She wore black combat boots that went almost up to her knee, Along with black gloves that started at her wrist and ended just above the knuckles.  Her nails were black, except one.  Her pinky, on her right hand. That one was white.  She wore a black beanie, it looked so perfect on her small head.  Jennifer wondered how it hadn't fallen off. 

        Jennifer ran closer to the girl.  She was almost right beside her.  Almost close enough to see her face.  But then- 

She woke up.

        Jennifer had been having this dream every night for months now. Three months, to be exact. Ever since they moved here, just after her seventeenth birthday.  She woke up with a headache, and tears running down her face.  Her pillow was on the floor, and her blankets were scattered.  She could still taste the burnt smoke.  

        She looked over at her alarm clock.  Thirty minutes until the time she usually was supposed to wake up for school.  She sighed, figuring there was no use of going back to sleep now.  She turned off the alarm, and got up.  Slipping on her black-cat house shoes, she walked over to her bathroom.  She looked in the mirror at her reflection.  She sighed and turned on the faucet, splashing cold water on her face.  After drying her face, she looked back in the mirror.

        Her skin was pale. She had small bags under her eyes from nights of restless sleep.  Her lips were a dark pink, and her cheeks a rosie color.  Though, not as rosie as they once were.  Her eyes were still the same aqua color they had always been. They reminded her of the sea. Dark and light. Peaceful and raging.  She still had that sparkle in her eye.  The hope that things would get better.  The hope that whatever this feeling was- this feeling of something missing, something important - would go away. 

        She smiled and brushed her pale blonde hair.  "I can do this." She whispered into the mirror.  "I can do this!"  This time she said it louder, and more happily.  She walked over to her closet and pulled out an outfit.  

        Her black skinny jeans, Knee high converse and her aqua tank top. Then she walked over to her dresser, sitting on top was her jewlery box.  She took out her aqua and silver wrist cuff and wrapped it around her right wrist. It was silver with swirls of aqua.  She wasn't sure where she got it, but it was her favorite. It made her feel...better.

        Then she grabbed her backpack, and headed out the door.  She didn't bother to say goodbye to her mother and father- they were probably asleep anyways. She had about any hour to kill until school started.  She took the keys down from the rack and got into her jeep.  

        She backed out, and turned on the radio.  As she rode away with the radio blasting, her favorite song came on.  "What a wonderful day this will be" She thought to herself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N~

I really hope you like my book. I'm trying my best to actually make it worthwhile, and go through with writing it. I have a bunch of others on different accounts, but of course I forgot the passwords and stuff to those accounts.

Also, my friends have declared that if my book ever becomes published, they get free copies. And my boyfriend said he gets first copy. ...Just putting that out there.

Also, Credit to @irwinthegod for making this totally amazing cover. It's like, the best cover ever. Thank you so much. <3

Also, feel free to message me ideas of what you think should happen, or what you think will happen. Or any advice.

Also feel free to vote, comment, and fan me. Thanks, Again~ 

~Alyssa Rodgers. <3