Chapter 1: The Day I Died

3 years ago

Charlize Winters

It's night and we're living moments we will remember for the rest of our lives. We're riding in Jason's BMW. Jason's so hot, but not my type, too dicky. He has a dick I mean. My eyes only have eyes for Veronica Danes. Did I say eyes two times in my inner monologue? I just get so distracted by, ironically, her eyes. They're like a peanut butter jelly sandwich, but without the jelly, just the delicious peanut butter part and I want to lick it off her freaking fucking face. She looks at me from the passenger seat. I'm in the back. Jason drives through the desert at 80 miles per hour. You can see the lights of the city just a couple of miles ahead. The combination of the car's vibration and that flirty stare is making me want to go home quick and shower with the faucet in hard pressure.

"Why are you two staring at each other so much? Like, you're making me uncomfortable. If I knew I was going to be the third wheel of this party, I would've stayed at home binge watching." Stupid says, making things very awkward. Why would he do this to me?

"I'm the victim here." Jason says.

"How are you the victim?" Veronica says with her pretty mouth that almost said, "I want you to kiss me."

"I'm the victim because I thought that I might have a chance to get with at least one of you this summer, but you two decided to be gay and just shove it in my face. I'm sorry, but in my car there will be no shoving on my face." Jason says. He's so hilarious to me. He's like that horny kid that always stares at you in the classroom, but he's cool and not creepy at all.

We all laugh. Veronica knows I'm attracted to her and I think she might not be disgusted by me. She looks at me all the time, but I don't know what it is about me. She's like an Asian Goddess that came to America and turned every girl gay and I'm like that girl on The Exorcist, underage and I barf on your face.

"No, I don't think Charlize likes Asian girls." Veronica says.

"I do like them, especially when you get to know them." I say.

We're staring at each other in silence. There's a comfortable moment in which neither of us talks.

"Look, I need to get some air. It's kinda hot in here so we're stopping in a bar." Jason says.

We enter the city. All the lights are all kind of blue in Darkview. Everything's blueish. Everything's cold that's why in a couple of hours there's going to be snow. People from other states don't believe us when we say that Darkview is the city where snow falls on desert.

The tall buildings, the blue atmosphere, the drug dealers and the prostitutes on the street. The Mafia rules everything in Darkview, even the police and the government. This is a strange city. And of course, there's the desert around it, where weird shit happens. But this is my home and I'm staying here until I die.

The car passes the prostitutes and the drug dealers outside of clubs and Russian Roulette places. Only in Darkview can you find a legal place where you can bet on Russian Roulette and fuck dolls in a salon. We're sick and I love it.

We get to the bar. It has pink neon signs that light up the parking in front of it. Jason stops the car and we all just look at each other for a moment.

"Yeah, let's get fucked up." Jason says.

Minutes later there's loud music playing. There's drug dealers, Mafia tycoons, regular people, and prostitutes drinking. We sit on an empty table.

"Wait, I have to squeeze the lemonade out of the lemond. I'll be right back" Jason says as he stands up from the table and walks away.

"I don't think that's how the saying goes!" Veronica yells, but the music masks her words. I still laugh because I read her lips as she said it. Even when I can't hear her, I still can.

Veronica and I are alone for the first time tonight. The music's loud. It's going to be impossible for- She just grabs my hand from across the table. With her finger she draws a heart on my hand. My real heart feels warm and gentle. I haven't felt that lately. She just makes me feel all types of feelings. I touch her black hair softly with my fingers. She leans her face against my hand. Moments like this is what I live for. I don't want this moment to end.

All of the sudden, the music stops.

"What's happening?" Veronica says.

A big guy in a grey suit stands in front of me. He takes me by the arm. I don't understand what's happening.

"Let her go!" Veronica screams.

"So here she is. You know what your mother and your family have done to us? You have ruined us over the years. You have ruined our lives! It's time to send a message. Jacob!" The man says as he takes me by the neck. I can't breathe. He holds me tighter and tighter. The air is leaving my body. Breathing is impossible right now. I have a few minutes before I die.

"No!" Veronica screams. I see Jason comes out of the bathroom and runs towards me. A 6'7 foot woman stands in front of Jason and hits him with a bat in his stomach. He falls to the floor.

The man slaps Veronica as he holds me. Her face immediately hits the table and then the floor. A short skinny guy gives the man in front of me a sword.

No, no, I can't die like this. I don't understand what I did wrong. I don't deserve this. I am good. I am a good person. Please, God, save me! I'll do anything. Mom! I couldn't tell Veronica how I fe-