Chapter 19. Funeral

It is both a blessing and a curse to feel everything so very deeply.

~d.j

Ariana's POV

My eyes took into my dark and gloomy surrounding; few people mourning in wallow, few standing with a sad face while they gave their condolences to the dead and there were the rest who looked like they either didn't want to be here or they just didn't know what was going on.

Sadly, I was one of them. Standing next to the wooden casket where a man named 'Duncan Caprielle' laid inside the wooden casket neatly dressed in a black tuxedo with his eyes closed. The man was a human and died of an accident at a young age. Such a pity. I didn't really know who he was or better yet what was going on.

Earlier when Daniel had said me to wear something formal and black, I had guessed we were attending a gothic party not a funeral ceremony.

The moment Daniel and I entered the graveyard, everyone had bowed their heads in respect to the prince before going back to looking sad or blank.

What worried me was how Daniel seemed sad as he stared at the dead man. Although he didn't show it out in front but the way he was clutching my hand so tightly it was almost painful. It was like holding my hand would make him feel better and that was enough for me to understand his dilemma. He had been holding my hand ever since we entered the graveyard. I don't know who this man meant to him but he must be really important to Daniel for him to hurt so much.

I squeezed his hand in reassurance -although I didn't know what the matter was- which seemed to work as his grip loosened on my hand but still not leaving them.

"Danny?" Came a feminine voice cutting the utter silence around us.

I felt Daniel stiffen beside me and the hold on my hand became tight once again. I took a glance at Daniel first who looked disturbed before I glanced towards the source of the sound.

There came a beautiful girl. Her raven hair cascading down her waist bounced left to right as she made her way to us. She was dressed in an expensive looking black dress paired with black killer heels stiletto. She looked every inch of a model, whether it'd be her porcelian doll like pale face or her bright grey eyes or her blood red lips.

For some reason, I couldn't help but think I've seen her somewhere.

"Kiana," Daniel's voice was cold and eerie as he addressed the woman.

Kiana

I have heard this name. My eyes widened as realisation dawned on me. It was the name of the woman from Daniel's diary. I'm sure this is her. I clearly remember her face now. The woman in that picture, she looked exactly like the woman in front of me.

"You're here, Danny. I thought you wouldn't come," Kiana's eyes were teary as she gazed at the dead man in the casket before looking back at Daniel.

Daniel clutched my hand tighter if that's even possible and gave the woman a steel cold look, "Why wouldn't I? Even after everything he did, he's still my friend."

"I always knew you had a good heart. That's why even when I left you, I couldn't entirely forget you. You were always on my mind-" Kiana was cut off harshly by a very rude Daniel.

"We're here to give condolences to the dead. Not to reminisce the past. It would be disrespectful for you to speak about another man in front of your dead husband's grave. It wasn't good meeting you, Kiana. You still haven't changed."