Chapter 14: The new Island

I finally got myself to stop crying. I looked to see that the boat wasn't taking me home. I would've noticed sooner if I wasn't so distracted.

The boat was parked.

"There. Here's your stop." Chef said.

"Um. Thanks." I got up with my bag, walked off the boat and stepped onto this very well made resort. Chef drove off. Well, there goes my only chance of going home.

I walked around, not sure where I was. I mean, the place looked nice. But, I'm kinda lost. I then stumbled across a group of people sitting around  a pool. But, not just any group of people.

People, who were recently kicked off. Everyone noticed me coming from the bush. In that group of people, I noticed Courtney. We both made direct eye contact.

"Aaron Vázquez?" She questioned.

"Courtney Barlow?" I raised an eyebrow.

She got up from the pool and approached me.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"I could be asking you the same thing."

"Well, after I was eliminated they sent me and the rest of the cast here. I'm guessing you got eliminated."

"Yeah. I did." I sighed.

We both smiled at each other.

"Hey, you're eyes look a little red. We're you. Crying?" She raised an eyebrow.

"No. I. Uh. Accidentally poked it." I lied.

"Which one?"

"My right one."

"Okay. Then why is the left one red too?"

"Allergies, maybe?" I lied.

I didn't see a reason to tell Courtney why my eyes were actually red. I mean, imagine how awkward and werid that conversation would be.

What, would I just go up to her and say,'Hey, I was crying over the fact that my heart was broken during the time I was one the island.'

It would just be werid. Courtney is still a good friend to have. Even if she doesn't feel the same. She didn't know the way that I felt.

She didn't get with Duncan to hurt me. I'll just keep it to myself.

"Come on. I'll show you around." Courtney said, yanking my arm.

Okay. I guess I'm following her. She started showing me around the island. Which looked pretty cool.

"And, after reviewing the footage it turns out that I didn't actually lose. Harold tampered with the votes and got me kicked off. Grr... when he gets here, he's gonna get it." She growled.

"Wow. But why? You've never really done anything to Harold. Do you think he did to get back at Duncan?" I said, calmy.

"What would getting rid of me have to do with Duncan?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well. If I'm not mistaken, you two were- Well, you know. A thing." I struggled to say." Getting rid of you would obviously upset Duncan. Though I don't see why you would have to pay for Duncan bullying him."

"Yeah. How is that fair?"

"Well, that's just it. It wasn't fair. So, technically you should still be in the game."

"And it's all that geeks fault."

"Well, look on the bright side. There's many opportunities out in the world. And a girl as smart as you will probably end up in an office in some years." I smiled.

"Yeah. You're right."

+

I headed to the room that I was going to be staying in for the remainder of my time here. I'm trying not to act awkward around Courtney.

I mean, it's only awkward if I make it awkward. I went to sleep, trying to be in high spirits.

The next morning I woke up. I decided to meditate to keep my mind at peace and to just try to get over this. I took a deep breath and heavily exhaled. I then heard a knock on my door.

"Aaron? You awake?" I heard Courtney say on the other side of the door.

"Yeah. I am. I'm just gonna get up soon. I'm just resting my eyes." I lied.(Or technically it wouldn't be a lie since I close my eyes while I meditate)

"Oh. Okay." She said.

I heard her walk away. I sighed, slightly guilty about telling so many lies. It's just like the old saying goes. The truth really does hurt.

I'm just gonna map out a plan, for now. I'll just stay here for however long I have to. Then I'll just continue my studies. I'll just continue to prepare for college.

Yeah. It'll take a while to move on. But after I leave this setting, I'll be able to move on... I think. I mean, I never really had a serious crush before.

All my life, I've mostly paid attention to my studies. Yeah. I'll just need some time after this show to get over Courtney. And I'll be fine.

I decided to concentrate back onto my breaths and continued to meditate.

+

After a half an hour pasted, I joined everyone else outside. This place looks very nice in the morning. The sun reflects off of everything perfectly.

I took a deep breath and approached Courtney.

"Hey, Courtney." I smiled.

"Oh. You're finally up."

"Yeah. So, you said this place has actual food?"

"Yes. And you'll need some after staying on that island. Come on, you have to try this strawberry sundae. It's to die for." She said, pulling my arm.

We got our sundaes and sat down under one of the tropical trees.

"So, you worked at an ice cream shop?" I asked.

"Yeah. It only lasted for three weeks though. I got fired for flinging scoop of raspberry swirl at a costumer. But she started with her, 'excuse me, excuse me'" she said imitating an annoying voice for the customer." I was on my break."

I started laughing.

"See. That's what's great about you Courtney. You always know how to take a stand for yourself. Even if it will result in getting you fired. Just next time, try not to fling ice cream at someone." I said.

"I'll try not to. So, have you ever had any bad job experiences?"

"Yes. I did. One time, I worked at this clothing store for about of month. They gave me half off on the price of stuff since I worked there. And they had nice clothes too. But anyways, one day I was the only one who actually showed up to work. And I end up having to ring peoples stuff up non-stop. The store  normally isn't crowded. But because there was a sale going on, everyone was coming in. And no one arrived that day to actual help. I complained to the manager about a raise, but he said no. After that I ended up quitting."

"Wow."

"And on top of that, I was the only one there that actually did my job right. Yet some else was getting paid more than me for not even trying. Totally wasn't worth staying there."

We hung out for the rest of the day. It was pretty fun. Maybe we're suppose to be nothing more than friends.