Chapter 4: This Means War

THIS MEANS WAR

Tall, dark-haired, handsome Bannock Blacksteed stood before his father proudly, almost too much so. There wasn’t a maiden he couldn’t rescue or a cause he could not save. He had muscles in all the right places. Firstborn of Lord Regent Rab, Vicomte of Blackthorn, across the sea from the Summer Isle, Bannock the Bold was the stuff of legend. His young brother, Xander, stood beside him.

Bannock had seen his twenty-second summer, but Xander had only recently celebrated his sixteenth nameday. Baby fat still awkwardly clung to Xander in places while the rest of him was chiseled. He had seen plenty of sword play in training yards with Bannock, but had not been battle hardened or a war hero like his elder brother. Xander’s jaw flexed. He waited for his father to speak.

“I’m sending you away.”

Xander glanced at Bannock to see his older brother filled with bridled excitement.

“I want you to take half of my army to the Summer Isle and claim it in the name of the Blacksteeds.”

“Yes, Father.” Bannock’s voice was deep and rich and eager.

“Aodhagáin, King of the Isle, has recently suffered the grievous loss of his beloved queen. Word has traveled that he is so forlorn that he hardly leaves his castle. Such a pity.”

The two young men said nothing.

Rab tilted forward in his chair. “He is weak and vulnerable now. Crush him.”

Xander tapped the heels of his boots together like a good soldier.

Bannock pounded his burly chest. “It will be my honor.”

Rab waved for his servant and ordered ships, men, and all necessary equipment for Bannock. “You must arrive in time for their Bealtaine celebration. They will be at their weakest. Everyone will be distracted with festivities. Attack from the north end of the Isle. They have the fewest guards there. The Summer Isle has not seen war in many generations. The enemy is well-trained, but our men far outnumber them. Your job is simple.” Rab motioned toward his eldest son. “You may go.”

Bannock went ahead of Xander and strode out of the room. Rab grabbed Xander’s elbow and pulled him aside. His expression went dark. “I’m sending you with him. Stay out of the way.”

Xander’s brow knit. “Why must I stay out of the way? This is my chance to prove myself to you.”

Rab’s jaw set. “Things never go as planned when you try to prove yourself, Xander. You always get in the way. You killed your own mother coming into the world.”

Xander winced. It was not the first time he had heard such an admonition. He was the accident. The failure. Bannock could do no wrong, and Xander could do nothing right. “Yes, Father.”

Xander breathed a sigh once outside and relaxed. Bannock cozied up with his betrothed. She, a pretty girl of seventeen, was a ward of the Blacksteeds and bound to Bannock. If anything happened to Bannock, Xander would be obligated to take his place as groom by law of the land. Xander ducked around a corner to spy on his older brother and the girl.

“What did he say?” she asked.

Bannock looked at their linked hands and then into her hazel eyes. She had done up her dark-blonde hair neatly and tightly under a net of pearls. “I am to go to the Summer Isle and return with a boon for our wedding, dear Glenna.”

The girl’s smile faded. Understanding dawned. “You mean to war?”

“If we are to have lands and jurisdiction, we must take them by force. The Twelve Kingdoms cannot be split further.”