nineteen - mendacious

mendacious:(adjective) not telling the truth; lying.

─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─

matty

"has he woke yet?" male.

"no, although the anaesthetic will wear off soon and he should come around." female.

"ok, great news. will you fetch a lunch form for me please? i'm sure he will be very hungry when he wakes." male.

"yes doc, i'll grab one right after the routine check." someone takes my wrist in their hand. "matthew, i'm just going to check your pulse okay." female.

my eyes flutter open momentarily, before i squeeze them shut again due to the blinding lights.

"oh, you're awake!" the same voice speaks again. "how're you feeling?"

my lips sting as i part them because of how dry they are. "drink..." i whisper, eyes still shut.

"oh, yes, sure. hold on, just let me finish up here." she holds my wrist for a little longer and then disappears.

when i attempt to open my eyes again, she's stood beside the bed i'm lay on holding a paper cup. "water."

i try to lift myself up with my arms. "fuck!" i wince, falling back down.

"no, no!" the nurse sighs. "don't hurt yourself." she moves over to me, holding the cup at my lips allowing me to drink, the smell of her floral perfume masking over me. i open my eyes to get a proper look at her. she's young, i'd say no older than 25. her hair was pulled up into a long blonde ponytail and she had big blue eyes. she was dreamy.

"thank you." i whisper, allowing my head to rest back into the pillow. my side stung, bad.

"it's no problem." she smiles at me widely. "can i get you anything for the pain? i'll get you a lunch form now too."

i shake my head. "no. i don't intend on being in here much longer."

she cocks her head to the side causing her ponytail to sway and chuckles. "hey, hey... it may only be a skin graze, but it's still got to heal."

i furrow my brows. "skin graze? is that it?"

she nods, smiling again. "you were very lucky matthew. they almost missed you completely."

i swallow hard and then lick my lips, that were still dry. "but... there was loads of blood."

"theres bound to have been. the bullet pulled skin off due to how fast it was moving. but, you have to remember you had been drinking, therefore your blood was thinner than normal... so it may have looked a lot, but in reality it wasn't." she tucks her hands into the front pockets of her uniform. "i'll be right back with that form."

i watch her walk away, completely bewildered. to any other person, in any other circumstance, that would have been the best possible news. only to me, it was the worst. not only did i have to deal with the fact i didn't die, i had to deal with the embarrassment that came along with it. i'm a serial killer for gods sakes. i've killed more women than you can shake a stick at, yet, i'm incapable of ending my own life. it was that stupid gun. i knew i should have used a knife, i'm not lousy with them. id never used a gun before, therefore, when i fired it, fully intending to die. it shook my hands completely and ended up 'grazing' my side.

i honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry.

"here you go." a different older nurse handed me a orange coloured peice of paper, which i'm guessing was the food form.