Orion Gambit - Ch 8

Chapter 8

Truth Seer

“Hyatt, show Admiral Frano in, please.”

Chief Councilor Agron rose and met Fleet Admiral Frano as he entered the council chamber. Councilor Hyatt was already in his usual chair just in front of the large desk and to the chief councilor’s left. Frano sat in the chair normally occupied by Councilor Schlein and waited for the other man to arrive. He noted that several books were missing from the council library along the walls. Perhaps some heavy reading was occupying Councilor Schlein’s attention. Moments later, the older councilor walked in with a younger man trailing him. Both men wore the robes of state that identified their posts. Councilor Schlein noted that his normal chair was taken and pulled another nearby for the junior man to take.

Agron began, “We are all assembled then. I would like to introduce Junior Councilor Aaronson. He will be joining us for today’s meeting.”

“Does he have the proper clearances, Chief Councilor?” Admiral Frano asked.

“After today he will. Able Aaronson will be a regular part of our security council. When we conclude our business here, you will all know why.”

Agron seated himself behind the desk and leaned forward. “Admiral Frano has just returned from the front lines, where he and Admiral Nagao are securing both the rift and Alpha Centauri from counterattack. At the current time, the Valdi fronts are both static. Is that correct, Admiral?”

“Yes it is. The Terrans have emplaced enough mines around the rift that it would take nearly a supernova to create a lane through them. The Valdi are patrolling the far side with enough fighters to make raids impractical. Nagao has also brought forward additional reinforcements to help secure Centauri from counterattack.”

“Thank you, Admiral. As you all know, Duke Mihialovich has taken control of the southern colonies and hopes to present himself as emperor apparent. His move will allow him to rule everything south of Altair unless there is a force large enough or foolish enough to challenge him.

“Together with Admiral Pearson’s fleet, Councilors, we could possibly eliminate him, but there would be heavy losses. Alone, Admiral Pearson does not stand a chance. He will either lose his entire command or force Mihialovich to retreat along the Vega chain and whittle away at Pearson’s attacking force until they reach parity and annihilate each other. Both cases would result in a complete destabilization of the Empire.”

“Yes, Admiral, that is correct,” Agron said. “And it has been clear from the start that Pearson will not concede to a council of worlds. Eventually, he will seek the emperorship for himself. This is why we must force a confrontation between them now and bring this to resolution.”

Admiral Frano sat in his chair in good grace. His face revealed no expression at all. It wasn’t that the councilor had not heard his assessment. He had simply been reminded that there were always other facets to consider. Councilor Schlein broke the silence.

“So we are planning to move forward with the assassination?”

“It is the only way to move the Terrans along the path we have chosen. I see no alternative,” Hyatt said.

“If we assassinate the admiral, the Terrans will have every reason to see us as untrustworthy, especially if we refuse to help them in combat against each other,” Frano said stonily.

“Which is precisely why we cannot interfere in their confrontation. If there is to be a lasting peace when this is over, we must not take sides,” Agron replied.

“I fail to see how an assassination is failing to choose sides, Councilor,” Frano said. His deep-set eyes were fixed on Councilor Agron and a final bid to avert this first step on a slippery slope.