Chapter Six

Monday, February 13th

Cooper had gone out just before sunrise to search for the next suspect. He looked absolutely exhausted, but he'd taken the coffee I offered and darted out the door with a stark reminder of what the end of the day could mean if he didn't find his soulmate. So, I watched him go and forced myself to stay awake, to keep going through the lists, to keep helping him.

It was the least I could do—all things considered. Besides, if he didn't find his soulmate by midnight, he would be recycled. We hadn't known one another long, but Cooper was a good guy. He didn't deserve that. I hadn't even met his soulmate, and I sure as hell knew that he didn't deserve to be abandoned without meeting someone as wonderful as Cooper.

Swimming about in the back of my thoughts, however, was a nagging reminder of Scott's words the previous day. The thought of being Cooper's soulmate wasn't a bad one, but I knew it wasn't true. It was like Cooper said—he would know when he found his soulmate. Obviously, he didn't know yet. That meant he hadn't found him. It was as simple as that, and anything else was wishful thinking on my part. If anything, I should've been irritated at Scott for even putting the thought into my head.

I ran my hands over my face, trying desperately to rouse myself. Blinking roughly, I refocused on the list in front of me. The letters stopped blurring together and doubling, making it a bit easier to make out the names. One by one, I combed through them to compile a list of people that fit the profile of Cooper's soulmate.

As the sun rose, Cooper called.

"None of them have panned out so far." He sounded devastated, and I couldn't blame him. I couldn't imagine having to be in that situation.

"I have another few names to check. I'm getting ready to head back to the shop so I can get more finished there. Think my latest list will tide you over until I can get to work?"

"Yeah, that should do." Cooper heaved a heavy sigh. "If I don't find him—"

"You're going to find him. If I have anything to do with it, I'm going to make for fucking sure you find him. Okay?"

"Okay, but listen. If I don't find him, will you...? I know this is a lot to ask, and you don't have to say yes. You have no obligation to me or anything, you know that, but if you wouldn't mind... would you be willing to sit with me while the council recycles me?"

My heart twisted at the thought. It was awful to even think about it, but it was even worse to think of him going into it alone. Having to die, alone and afraid, if I could prevent that, I wanted to. If it were me in his position, I would want someone too.

"Of course," I said. "I'll be with you at every step if that's what you need."

"Thank you so much, Jude. Really, I don't know how to—"

"It's no problem—at all. No one deserves to be alone and afraid during their last moments, and maybe we don't know each other all that well yet, but I'm better than no one."

"You're better than anyone I've had the pleasure of coming into contact with."

I smiled. "When all this works out, I can't wait to get to know you better."

"Same here... Well, text me the names whenever you can. Be careful getting to work. It's a bit icy out."

"Thanks. You be careful too." We hung up, and I sent him the names dutifully before heading into my bedroom to get ready for the day.

After a quick shower, I pulled on a blue-and-white flannel with ripped jeans and black sneakers. I left the living room and pulled on my thick black coat.