Articles

Princess Mako, granddaughter of Emperor, set to marry Swedish Prince

Princess Mako, 25, the elder daughter of Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko, is set to be engaged to Prince Eugen of Sweden and is expected to marry next year, media reports said Tuesday

It will be the first engagement among the four grandchildren of Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. The last marriage of a Japanese princess took place in October 2014 when Princess Noriko, the 28-year-old daughter of Emperor Akihito's late cousin Prince Takamado, tied the knot with Kunimaro Senge, the eldest son of the chief priest of Izumo Taisha, a Shinto shrine in Shimane Prefecture.

Princess Mako met Prince Eugen about two years ago during the Japanese state visit to Sweden, according to an agency source.

The princess has already introduced Prince Eugen to Prince Akishino, who is the younger brother of Crown Prince Naruhito.

×

The wedding between Prince Eugen and Princess Mako will take place on the 18th of June 2019 in the Royal Chapel, at the Royal Palace, Stockholm. The engagement between Prince Eugen and Princess Mako was announced on the 16th of May 2017.

"His Majesty The King has decided that Princess Princess Mako of Akishino after the wedding with HRH Prince Eugen, will become a member of the Royal Family and will receive the title of HRH Princess Mako, Duchess of Jämtland. She will be known as HRH & HIH Princess Mako of Sweden. She will retain her Japanese citizenship and gain the additional Swedish citizenship.

×

Engagement between Prince Eric and Princess Mako

On 16 May 2017, the engagement between Prince Eugen and Princess Mako was announced.

After His Majesty The King of Sweden had given his consent to the marriage between Prince Eugen and Princess Mako, His Majesty requested the approval by the Swedish Government, in accordance with the procedures set out in the Swedish Constitution.

Today, on 16 May 2019, Mako and Eugen were going to have their engagement interview done.

It was agreed that the Princess Sibylla's Apartment at the Royal Palace in Stockholm would be the best option for the photocall.

Mako smiled her the camera. The quick side glances, smiles, and whispers between her and Eugen intrigued the press even more.

When the time for the interview came around Mako was a bit nervous since she would be speaking in Swedish but Eugen reminder that she could speak in English if she didn't know how to say a current phase.

×

Crown Princess Victoria, Princess Estelle, and More Swedish Royals Celebrate Sweden's National Day

Swedish National Day-or Nationaldagen, as the Swedes call it-is celebrated every year on June 6, to commemorate King Gustav Vasa's election in 1523, and the adoption of a new constitution in 1809.

Naturally, the country's royal family plays a prominent role in the festivities. This year, Crown Princess Victoria, her daughter Princess Estelle, and many more royals donned traditional clothing at a celebration in Stockholm. Here, all the best photos from the event.

Prince Eugen and Princess Mako attend the ceremony.

Princess Sofia and Prince Carl Philip attend the ceremony.

Crown Princess Victoria wears a Sverigedräkten, a traditional hat.

Prince Daniel and Crown Princess Victoria arrive in a carriage.

Princess Sofia, Prince Carl Philip, Helena Norlen, King Carl Gustaf, Queen Silvia, Andreas Norlen, Crown Princess Victoria, Princess Estelle, and Prince Daniel stand together at the event.

Princess Mako, Princess Madeleine and Princess Sofia receive handouts from a helpful young participant.