Part Six

The familiar sound of footsteps up the stairs woke Zuko from his tumultuous nap.
"Finally," he said as the door slid open. "You were gone so long I thought—"
Zuko cut himself off when he saw not Lei, but the boy from a few days ago, Gene, standing in the doorway.
"Where's Lei?" Zuko asked with a frown.
"There were some patients waiting for her downstairs," The boy said, closing the door behind him.
"Why are you here?" Zuko asked. He was glad that Lei had allowed him to sit up more fully, supported by a wedge of straw pillows. He still wasn't fully upright, but at least he didn't have to suffer the humiliation of being entirely horizontal while dealing with this new development.
"I figured, if I'm going to help you escape the city," the boy said, leaning casually against Lei's dresser, "I should at least get to properly meet you first."
"I'm Lee," Zuko said evenly.
"I'm Gene," the boy replied. He crossed his arms and glared, seeming uninterested in furthering the conversation.
"Thank you for your help," Zuko continued flatly. "I'm sorry that my presence has caused tension between you and Lei."
Something angry flashed in Gene's eyes at that.
"We're fine, thanks," Gene spat ungratefully. "So,"he snarled, "how did you get that big hole in your chest?"
Zuko really wished Lei would hurry up. He had no idea what kind of lie she had spun to convince Gene to help him.
"I was attacked," Zuko said carefully.
"By whom?" Gene raised his eyebrows in question.
"The Dai Lee."
"Why?"
This felt like a test. What was he supposed to say? What story had Lei told?
"I broke curfew."
Gene frowned slightly. He seemed disappointed.
"Why?"
Perhaps Lei had told the truth? Maybe she had just omitted the parts pertaining to his true identity.
"I am searching for my uncle."
Gene seemed even further disappointed by that. He was trying to catch Zuko in a lie. Lei must have told him at least some version of the truth.
"He disappeared almost a week ago, and I believe something bad has happened to him."
Something in Gene's face softened for a moment.
"I'm sorry to hear that."
"I appreciate your sympathy."
The two boys stared at each other. The air felt thick enough to cut with a knife.
"So—where are you from, Lee?"
Something akin to panic sparked in Zuko's chest. If Gene was asking a question, it meant he already knew the answer, but Zuko and Lei had never discussed what the cover story for him would be.
"I'm from, uh—"
Zuko coughed to keep himself from answering. The action hurt, but it was the only thing staving of suspicion.
He continued to cough dryly, reaching for the cold and abandoned tea resting on the desk.
Gene crossed the room and scooped up the cup. He held it just out of Zuko's reach.
"Where are you from, Lee?" he asked again. His hand which didn't hold the tea aloft gripped a sack of what was probably stones at his waist.
Zuko took a deep breath.
"I'm from—"
"There you are, Gene!" Lei's voice called from the doorway. Zuko had been so focused on Gene's interrogation he hadn't heard her approach.
"I told you to wait downstairs," she said with hand on hip.
Gene gave Zuko one more piercing glare before handing him the cup and turning to face Lei.
"I just wanted to get acquainted with Lee here,"
Lei's eyes widened for a fraction of a second. Zuko had never told her the name he used to hide amongst the refugees.
"Well I'm glad we're all friends now," she said with the fakest looking smile Zuko had seen her wear.
Zuko took a sip of the cold, medicinal tea to avoid speaking. If the way Gene still narrowed his eyes at him was any indication, they were anything but friends.
The silence was tense.
"Anyway, Gene, I'm glad you got to meet Lee, but he really does need to rest if he's going to be ready to leave in two days," Lei grabbed Gene's hand and began tugging him toward the door. "And your mom is probably worried sick and overrun with all the kids, so you should really be going home."
Gene threw one more glare over his shoulder at Zuko before relenting to Lei's tugging.
"I'll see you in two nights," Gene said softly, stopping in the doorway. He brushed his fingers against Lei's cheek and leaned forward as though to kiss her.
Zuko's eyes widened at the clear display of apparent possession. Why else would the boy be so blatant in front of him?
Unfortunately for Gene, Lei took a quick step back and released his hand before he could accomplish his goal.
"I'll see you then," she said. "Stay safe."
Gene's soft and caring facade crumbled into something disappointed and hurt as he turned to leave.
Lei slid the door shut behind him and waited until his footsteps disappeared down the steps before releasing a huge sigh and turning to face Zuko.
"Is everyone in Ba Sing Se in love with you?" Zuko asked.
Lei snorted a laugh and shook her head.
"No, not everyone."
"Two days?" Zuko asked.
Lei's smile sobered.
"Yes."
"Will I be ready?"
Lei quickly crossed the room and removed the bandages.
The stitches were still visible, but the angry redness of the wound had almost completely tapered.
"Yes."
Lei began reapplying medicine and bandages. Zuko watched her work with a heavy feeling in his chest, which had nothing to do with the wound.
"Will you still be accompanying me to the wall?" Zuko asked quietly.
Lei's hands stalled in her surprise.
"Of course."
Before she could resume, Zuko grabbed one of her wrists gently. Lei turned her attention back to his face.
"You should know I—I've done some things I'm not proud of."
Zuko couldn't look at her as his eyes began to burn.
"I'm not a good person, Lei. You are. I don't deserve your help."
Zuko flinched in surprise as one of those impossibly warm, gentle hands came to rest on his face. His eyes met hers as she used her thumb to rub away tears.
"Maybe you're not a good person," Lei whispered gently, "but I think you could be, if you give yourself a chance."
It was so similar to something his uncle would say.
"I don't know if I can do that."
"You have to forgive yourself," she said. "When my mom died, I blamed myself. I still do sometimes. But to move forward, I had to learn to let go of my regret and forgive myself. It's not easy, and it's something I have to work at every day, but if I can do it, I think you can too."
"You don't understand!" Zuko shook his head, dislodging her comforting hand. "The things I've done—I've hurt people. I've murdered people! My whole life I've wanted nothing more than to become the firelord. I was weak and cowardly, and after my father banished me, all I could think about was capturing the avatar and regaining my honor. I've done awful things trying to accomplish that goal."
Lei's eyes were wide, but not with fear: with concern.
"I don't deserve this," Zuko gestured to her. "I don't deserve your kindness."
Lei tore her gaze from his face and continued applying bandages to his wound.
"Everyone deserves kindness, Zuko."
Something tightened in his chest. That was the first time she had called him by his name.
Lei finished applying the bandages and let her hands rest against his stomach. She was sitting on the bed, her body facing him, but her eyes focused on her fingers.
"And sometimes, the people who feel like they deserve it the least, are those who need it the most."
She met his eyes. It was exactly something his uncle would say. So philosophical, and preachy, and true.
Zuko closed his eyes.
She was right, but he didn't feel any better.
Her hand was against the back of his neck again, but instead of prompting him to drink, Lei simply pressed her lips gently to Zuko's forehead.
Zuko's eyes widened in disbelief as she smiled at him.
"Get some rest. You're going to need your strength for our journey."