Chapter 4

Narrator: Veave

     There was a painful two day wait until people started disappearing. Nadia was among the first to leave along with the other candidates that where going to doctoral college. Then Lanlan left to Beauty training all by herself on the day after Nadia left. The day I was to leave was unknown to me. Mist was transferred to my room. So, it was less lonely.

“Veave, when this first started I was excited. Now, I can’t wait to leave. This is torture.” Mist whispered over to me one night.

“I know the feeling. I wonder where everyone has gone.” I said in a low voice.

“Yalead went with Nadia to doctoral academy. Tailion was sent to factory work. Thats all I know.” Mist sighed.

“Lanlan was sent to be a model. It appears she is the hight of beauty.” I joked.

“Lanlan’s blond hair and green eyes has always been getting her favors.” Mist laughed back.

“Is that jealousy I sense?” I teased.

“Haha! Yes, my black hair hasn’t done much for my career.” Mist had always been insecure about her hair. Blond was beautiful and black was not.

“I don’t see why hair matters so much. If it where up to me, we would all want to be different. Not all blond and blue eyes.” I breathed.

“You should be careful what you say. You wouldn’t want the wrong people to hear you.” Mist’s voice sounded cryptic in it’s urgency.

“Good night, Mist.” I whispered. I didn’t want to talk anymore.

“Night, Veave.” Mist whispered back. There was a muffled shuffling outside the door. I heard someone whisper a count down from three.

      Then the cracking of wood sent a shock through the room. Mist sat up. I looked over and muscular, masked men had broken into the room. One lunged for me. I jumped back and grabbed the clock next to me. I slammed it down on his head. Before I could react, I was grabbed from behind by an even stronger man. He lifted me off the ground. His arm squished my neck. I couldn’t breathe . I knew I had to outsmart him. So, I went limp in his arms. He let go and flung me to the bed. I looked over through the dark room and saw Mist’s outline on the floor.

    A man picked her up and swung her over his shoulder. Then one reached for me. I swung my legs around to knock him on his rear end. Then I took the clock that had fallen on my bed from the previous attack and hit him with it. I took the gun that was in it’s holster and blocked the door. Immediately several of their weapons where drawn as well.

“Put it down, sweetheart. We’re all on the same team here.” Said one of the men. He look his mask off so I could see his eyes.

“Doesn’t look like it from where I’m standing.” I spat back.

“We don’t have time for this.” He sighed angrily. Then to his jacket he said, “Pop her.”

       Shockwaves ran throughout me. I couldn’t move but I was witness to what went on around me. The man through me over his shoulder in typical fashion. The muscled men marched through the white hallways. More muscled men carried the boys from across the hall. K’ay’s large frame was carried by two men. We went down the white elevator, through the white lobby, and to a brigade of waiting cars. There was a car for each of us. After I noted this, someone put bags over our heads. I couldn’t see where we where going but I could feel the turns we made; Two lefts, a right, a long straight stretch, and another left. Then, I lost count.

      Half way through our 2 hour ride I regained control over my arms. I reached up and took the bag off my head. No one stopped me.

“Morning, doll, or rather, Good night.” Laughed the same man who gave the order to ‘pop’ me.