Walls Of Shadow

What are shadows? Just a form of darker light, cast down from where the light fails to fall against whatever they may seem to have shone on? Just another dark patch where light hasn't reached? Or maybe shadows are something more than that...

Take your own shadow, it resembles your figure, your stance, shape and actions, it moves with you and follows you, everywhere that you go. You may not even think that it does, but a shadow is everywhere, even when you are sat in a room with no lights, it is always there. Shadows cling to the dark, to everything that is alive or dead, moving or un-moving. They want to be a part of something, or someone, they want to feel what it is like to be alive, having their own actions to take and shape, rather than blending in with the darkness, having no form, forced to stay in that position until someone, someone such as yourself, comes along... 

That is when they latch onto your own shadow, they fill in that empty black space, pressing themselves against your figure, taking it and turning it into a void, filled with hate and anger, perhaps loneliness or depression. They can control your emotions, and sometimes, when your mind is at it's most critical or weak, they can control your actions. 

Ask yourself, have you even done something that you didn't realize you had done? Maybe you lashed out at someone you love or care for, maybe your mind would think things up that you know that, deep down inside, you would never do? That is the shadows.

All of your anger, loss and hate for something or someone can easily turn you into a monster you can hardly see yourself becoming. You look in the mirror, your eyes sunken and dark, your skin stating to turn grey, very much like your hair as it starts to fall in front of your dulling and lifeless eyes. Or maybe you embrace that anger? You become strong, vengeful, powerful, almost too much to control, until it destroys you, starting from the deepest parts of your mind.

But The Shadows aren't always what they seem, they can be taken away as quickly as turning that frown or sorrowful feelings, into a smile or a laugh. Looking out at the sun through the windows and feeling the air and wind on your face once more as you recall what it's like to go outside. So with a smile, you go towards the door and tug it open, or rather... You... Try, to tug the door open. But it won't budge.

"But why not?" you scream to yourself, looking down to find that your hands are firmly wrapped around your waits and held by straps. 

You look to your window, not an open glass one but steel bars, preventing you from ever opening it ever again. You look around, white, white padded walls, you are surrounded by them...

Some day you'll get away from these Shadows that crowd around around, or maybe, for you...

It's already too late...