Prologue (Lily Pov)

~*~ Thirteen Months Ago ~*~

Lily’s POV

“Melanie get your butt in gear, you’re the one who wanted to go to this stupid party, so if you aren’t sat in my car in the next five minutes you can get the bus,” I shouted through my roommates bedroom door to tell her to start moving.

I was sure she had been ready for the last three hours but was on her phone or trying out new makeup styles that made her look like a psychotic clown. I on the other hand hated makeup and parties. I didn’t see the point in makeup, so it took me a maximum of twenty minutes to get ready instead of Melanie’s four hour minimum.

“Calm it Lil, I’m ready,” she sighed opening her door.

Simply frowning at her I made my way out of the apartment and to my car. Melanie really needed to learn how to drive so I didn’t have to rope into her parties as she wouldn’t be able to get home. She knew how to drive but not legally. She used my car a lot after I got wasted at the parties she took me too, luckily we had never been pulled over by the police otherwise we’d both be in a lot of trouble.

She quickly followed me and we made our way to the party. By the looks of it she hadn’t put makeup on in the apartment as she kept slapping me when her lipstick trailed up her cheek due to my driving.

Luckily she finished the mess within the short drive. When we got there, (half an hour after the party started I may add) people were already hanging around outside of the house and crowds were trying to make their way into the house. Quickly we both joined the crowds.

I had no idea why I was at this party as I didn’t really know anyone. It was my roommate’s cousin’s party, which she was supposed to come to too, but she decided to abandon me for her boyfriend.  I didn’t even know she had a boyfriend, but I didn’t have a chance to question it before they walked off leaving me on my own.

Melanie was horrible like that, she was one of my closest friends but she always dragged me to parties and left me there on my own whilst she went off with the guy of the hour.

Unlike most young adults I hated parties, they were pretty boring. I couldn’t dance and all that’d happen is I’d get wasted and then regret every moment of the night (even though I couldn’t remember any of it) when I woke up in the morning.

But I never learned. I always went with people to parties and then make myself a promise to never go to a party again, but then I always did again.

Although usually I had someone to act like a prat with, but none of my actual friends were here and the only one that was, was too pre-occupied sucking faces with her boyfriend.

It wasn’t even like there was a corner to hide in, it was a house party and every corner was filled with couples making out. I found a small section of a couch that was free, taking it as my safe haven for the evening until Melanie came back to me crying over something trivial and needing me to drive her home even though I’d probably be intoxicated and she would be completely sober.

Sadly after an hour of sitting there, I really had to pee, so I stood up and made my way to the bathroom. After the long queue, I went back to the living room to find my seat occupied.

I scrunched up my face before going to the kitchen. I wasn’t able to reach the drinks due to the crowds but someone tapped me on the shoulder.

Turning around I saw an attractive brunette smiling at me. It wasn’t like it was a phenomenon that guys spoke to me as it happened a lot but it generally ended with me politely telling them to leave me alone and they’d end up elsewhere and never talking to me.

“Um… Hi,” I smiled slightly confused.

I didn’t recognise the man, not even from the various people Melanie introduced me to.

“Hey, do you want a drink? You don’t seem to have a clue how to handle this crowd,” he chuckled.

“I’m not a great crowd person, but if you are, you can get me a drink,” I smiled.

He chuckled asking me what I wanted, which I responded with anything before he made his way into the kitchen.

I was terrible when it came to being around people. I was too short for crowds as most people just looked straight over my head and didn’t see me as threatening when I tried to get past them. And I also hated talking to people in general; I always said the wrong thing. That was another thing that I had never learnt, I always made a prat of myself when talking to strangers but I always did it anyway.

Within a few moments the man came back holding two cups. I know they said never to take drinks from strangers but nothing bad had ever happened to anyone I know when they’ve done it and Melanie was here somewhere so she could help me with anything that went wrong.

I sipped the drink, which tasted like some type of alcohol and nothing odd about it, so I took an actual mouthful of the drink.

We carried on talking for a little bit but I began to feel woozy. Nothing severe, but I felt a little light headed. It felt like I had downed three pints but I had only drunk one cup of whatever concoction the man had given me.

He steadied me as he dragged me to dance with him. I wasn’t one for dancing as I was just kind of clumsy, but knowing everyone here was off their nut on alcohol or some sort of drug they wouldn’t remember my dancing they probably wouldn’t remember anything from this party.

In between dancing he got me another drink, but as I began to drink it my head began to spin a lot more than before. My knees buckled as I collapsed into his arms.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

“Yeah, I think. I just don’t feel too good,” I groaned.

He helped me stand up properly, but my legs didn’t like that idea and kept trying to help gravity take its course.

“Let’s go get you out of here,” he said barely audible as the sounds of the party seemed to grow by at least ten times.

The sounds and the randomly placed bright lights disorientated me as I was practically lying in his arms. My legs stumbled as he guided me towards the stairs. I thought he was taking me outside but I barely had the energy to move, let alone fight where he was taking me.

As he guided me further up the stairs the noises lessened until I heard a door creek open. It sliced through my head like a knife. With a few more shuffles forward the door slammed shut behind us, cutting out most of the noise.

The man let go of me as he moved around the room, although I couldn’t see him as it was dark and my vision was blurred. I stumbled through the room until I found a soft flat surface which I collapsed onto.

I could barely move and I hurt all over. Everything felt messed up and I was so confused. Before I knew it the small bit of light in the room disappeared as the whole room became pitch black.

Leave a comment! :) x