One

We recommend you stay inside and lock your doors. The infected are in the streets of New York. We encourage you to not open your doors for people you don't know and stay away from anyone you suspect has been infected. The government is working on clearing the streets of the infected people and taking them to hospitals. You should remain inside until further notice.

I switched off the tv and quickly grabbed our home phone that was hanging on our kitchen wall to call my dad. The call went straight to voicemail and I started to worry about him. I called once more but it went to voicemail again.

I got of the couch, locked the front and back doors and went around the house to make sure the windows were locked.

I walked carefully into me and Cassie's room hoping to not wake her up from her peaceful sleep. I checked the windows and then I sat on my bed. Creeeek! went my bed as I shifted my weight. Cassie lifted her head of her pink pillow with little dancing unicorns and looked at me. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. Her soft blonde curls were a mess around her head and her beloved unicorn toy was in her arms.

"Rebecca, where's daddy? Is he home yet?"

"He's not home yet but I don't know when he will be back Cassie. It might be a few more days."

"But he said he would be home today."

"It's really dangerous outside because sick people are on the streets and trying to hurt other people so daddy didn't want to get hurt so he staying in California but he will be back when the sick people are gone."

Cassie got out of her bed and laid down next to me and put her head on my shoulder.

"I hope daddy will be okay." she said softly.

"I hope so too." I said and closed my eyes and drifted to sleep with Cassie in my arms.