19: We Have All Been Blind

"If Ms. Daae doesn't wish to star in this Don Juan, then we will certainly change the role to Ms. Guidicelli.", M. Andre announced.

"No Monsieur, I have a plan. You see, we have all been blind and yet the answer is staring us in the face. This could be the chance to in snare out clever friend."

I know it wasn't polite to eavesdrop, but I was taking a stroll down the hallway, when I heard Raoul's voice. He was in M. Andre and M. Firmin's office.

"We're listening, go on.", I heard M. Firmin say.

"We shall play his game, perform his work, but remember we hold the ace

For if Ms. Daae sings, he is certain to attend.", I heard Raph's voice cut in.

Raph is siding with them? I felt my heart sink in my chest. I thought he believed me.

"We are certain to close the bars.", said Monsieur Andre.

"We are certain the police are there.", Monsieur Firmin chimed in.

"We are certain they're armed!", Raph exclaimed.

"Well then, Messieurs, when the curtain falls, the Phantom's reign will end.", Raoul spoke up once more.

How could they do this to me? They are going to use me as bait.

I backed away from the door and ran back down the hallway. My vision was blurry due to the tears that started forming. How could they do this?

I found myself descending the staircase to the chapel. Once I was inside, I just collapsed to the ground sobbing. They have no right to use me as their bait. I refuse to partake in their little scheme.

But, what will Erik think of this? If I don't sing, I will have failed him. But, if I do sing, Raoul and Raph will just use to me lure Erik into their trap.

Oh god, if I agree, what horrors wait for me?

Ever since returning from the cemetery, Christine, Raoul, and Raphael haven't even looked in my general direction. It is like, in their eyes, I don't exist. It has honestly shaken me to my core.

Through my sobs, I had failed to realize someone was walking down the stairs towards me. I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard their voice.

"Elizabeth?", I heard Raph call out.

I turned my head in the direction of the stairs, trying to wipe away any evidence that I was crying. But, I knew it wasn't going to be of any use. My eyes were probably beat red.

"Please leave me alone.", I whispered back in response.

"Lizzie? Lizzie, what's wrong?", Raph said, crouching down next to me. He placed his hand on my back to try and calm me down.

"I just want to be left alone right now.", I said, looking down to the ground, as I felt more tears form. "You haven't talked to me, or even looked in my general direction, in four days. Why do you care now?"

Raph slipped his hand under my chin and lifted my head up so I would look at him. He looked concerned.

"Lizzie, what's the matter?", he calmly said, running his thumb across my cheek. "Why are your beautiful eyes shedding tears?"

I pushed his hand away from my face, as I stood up. I didn't want to be near him right now. I turned my back towards him, as I wrapped my arms around my body.

"Elizabeth, talk to me. Please.", he pleaded with me.

"I heard what you and Raoul said.. to Andre and Firmin.", I spat at him. "I refuse to partake in your trap!"