Chapter 65- Cove Rave Part 2

I stared at Adam, unable to truly fathom what he said.

"Are you drunk?" I finally asked.

For a second he looked surprised by my question, but then he laughed. Holding a hand to his stomach as he chuckled, he shook his head. 

He grabbed my hand and continued laughing, but dragged me up onto the platform with Tim just as Tim changed the song into an old Jonas Brother's remix. 

"Let's have fun, No Name."

I withdrew my hand from his and watched Tim hype the crowd up. 

"Alice?" Adam asked. It was fair. I wanted to slap myself for what I was about to do, but something about being up here with Adam felt...empty. Fun, but empty.

Looking out at the crowd, I could see Lissa and Demi dancing with Jared. Jesse wasn't there. Was I really about to leave a once in a lifetime opportunity to dance on the DJ platform with Adam Hawkins?

"I..." I bit my lip as his eyes seemed to burn a hole into the side of my head while I stared at my friends having fun in the crowd. Demi was dancing horribly, Lissa was attempting to help her properly twerk and Jared was in his own world dancing by himself next to the two of them. 

I should be there. This might be our last party like this, all together. I should be down there. 

"I get it," Adam said.

"I'm sorry." I shook my head, knowing no one else would walk away from this. "This is crazy."

He shook his head. "No."

I swallowed, tugging at my necklace.

"Lucky bastard doesn't know what he has," he finally said in disbelief.

"No, it's not that." I glanced back out at Lissa and Demi. 

"You'll always choose him." I met Adam's blue eyes. "I'll be jealous for awhile, but I'll get over it."

I laughed. "But he didn't and that's okay."

I chewed my lip, turning to face the people I loved more than anything. Somewhere along this summer, I forgot the most important thing. With a smile, I began to back away from Adam. 

"I think for once, I'm going to choose me."

We parted with a smile and I shoved my way through the crowd, fighting my way to my best friends and my brother. The song changed and the crowd began to jump up and down in unison, singing along to one of my favorite songs by Ben Rector.

"Alice!" Demi yelled when I came into view. Her red hair was unruly, with her natural waves curling up into ringlets. 

"It's our song!" Lissa squealed. When I reached them, Demi and Lissa slung an arm around my shoulders and we swayed as we sang to the song that defined our childhood.

"Hey, it's my song too!" Jared whined in front of us.

"Girls only, Jar!" Lissa giggled. 

"Oh, oh, oh, oh!" The crowd roared.

Jared leaned into me despite Lissa and Demi slapping him away. 

"Are you looking for Jesse?" he yelled over the crowd and the music. 

With a smile, I reached out for his hand and made him dance with us. "I was looking for you!"

We smiled at each other and for a moment, time seemed to slow down. Everything, for just a second, was perfect.