Chapter 6

~One Year Later~
*ring ring*
The bells hanging on the top of the glass door leading into the run down café I work at chimed. I look up to see Ms. Patterson, a usual, slowly walk in. Her gray hair in tight curls framing her wrinkled face. She was one of the typical "old ladies" who bakes cookies and calls everyone sweetie.

"Hello Ms. Patterson," I say giving her a warm smile.

"Melody, how many times do I have to tell you? Just call me Jenny" She smiled back, her many laugh lines showing. I laughed at her sweet natured joking.

"The usual?" I ask.

"Yes please."

I walk into the back room as Jenny takes a seat. I grabbed the coffee pot from the burner and poured a cup of hot coffee. I then put two pieces of wheat bread into the toaster, just enough to get them brown. Just the way she likes them. As soon as the toast popped out I buttered them and put them on a tray with her coffee.
I go back out into the main room and walk toward the elderly lady. She thanked me as soon as I set the food and drink down.
Today we were actually semi busy since it was Monday, so I had to go to the counter and help out a few business men before they went to work.
All of a sudden ear piercing shrieks came from somewhere nearby. I wanted to investigate but I didn't want to leave Mark, my fellow colleague, to watch the cafe by himself. I walk to the tiny kitchen where Mark was.

"What're all those screams for?" I quietly ask him.

"Some band is in town. It's probably a bunch of twelve year old girls stalking them."

I shrug off the subject and walk back out to the front desk waiting for more customers to arrive. Sitting down on the old worn bar stool, I started picking the chipped polish from my nails. The bell above the door rings again and I hear staggered breaths and tiny squeals heading my way. I look up to find my roommate and best friend staring wide eyed at me.

"Come with me! She practically yells at me.

"Lilly, I'm in the middle of work. I can't leave Mark here alone."

"It's all good. Go ahead, I can handle the place for a couple of minutes." Mark says from behind.

I grab my phone out from under the front desk and took off my apron, shoving it under the desk. Slowly walking around the counter, I dust off my black skinny jeans and readjust my Green Day t shirt. Lilly, being the impatient little thing she is, grabbed my arm and literally drug me out the door.

Lined up and down the sidewalk were girls, with a few boys, aged between like twelve and my age, eighteen. Still holding my arm, Lil shoves her was through the crowd making me stumble behind her.

"What is this all about?" I shout to her over the sound of giddy teens and pre-teens.

"You'll see." She shouts back.

Finally we get to a break in the crowd. I continue looking at my all black high top converse, deciding not to get involved with the crowd. Lilly's breath hitches in her throat and finally I look up to see what the big deal was. Standing in front of us was the one and only Michael Clifford. I tilt my head back down, hoping he didn't see me.

"Melody?" Michael asks breathlessly. I look up, knowing that he obviously had already seen me.

"Yea, it's me." I shift my gaze so I don't meet his eyes, knowing I'll get all emotional and shit.

I glance around, seeing Ashton, Calum, and the boy I used to call mine. Luke begins to look this way and I hide behind Michael. He turns his head to see Luke and gives him a smile. I get on my tip toes and whisper in his ear.

"You can't let him see me. I've gone too far to ruin it all now."

"I won't tell him. Can we meet up sometime though? My place isn't too far from here."

"Sure."

"Meet me at 276 North Cane Street at ten tonight," He whispers so a bunch of girls don't know where he lives.

"Okay," I hastily say, the urge to run away getting stronger. He wraps his arms around me and gives me a big hug.

"I'll see you soon. Goodbye," He lets go of me and I scurry away.

"Wait up!" Lilly yells from behind. I make it back to the cafe and sit down trying to recover from what just happened.

"What the fuck was that?" Lilly asks me quietly.

"We used to be friends. That's all."

"What do you mean 'that's all'? You used to be friends with my favorite member of my favorite band and you didn't even introduce me."

"Can we not talk about this?" I ask, whispering.

"You're so selfish!" She exclaims, storming out of the cafe.

I plop myself down on the bar stool once again, just wanting to get the day over with.

"You look like shit!" Mark says as he sees me.

"Thanks. I feel like it too."

"Why don't you take the rest of the day off. I'll call in someone."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive"

I give him the best smile I can muster. I go into the break room and clock out, gathering up all my stuff and leaving.

I walk for a while until I find the local park. I sit down on a nearby bench, not wanting to go home to a pissy roommate. I still haven't decided if I should actually go to Michael's house. I hadn't seen him in a year and I don't know if I'm ready to go to his house and hang out. I left everything behind me that night I left Sydney and moved to Redfern.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                            Author's Note

I'm so so so so so sorry for taking so long to update. I was at severe writers block but I think I'm starting to get back into this story.

Have you joined the tribe yet? If not, vote and leave a comment.

I WANNA THANK YOU GUYS SOOOOO MUCH FOR 1K IT MEANS THE WORLD TO ME! I LOVE YOU ALL FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART <3 <3 <3

On a side note, if any of you need to talk, I'm always here for you. Just inbox me with Kenzie in the heading.

Happy almost New Years Eve

Also I'm quite proud of myself because this chapter has 1,114 words!!