Chapter 14

Jump To Moon

At the first sign of dawn the team prepared to fly to the moon, Tian, to make the ancient base usable. It should take about four hours to do the work after which they will return to transport the new pilots to their ships.

It will be a challenging morning for the Earth teens, but if the facility on the moon is brought back to life, the leaders of the revolution and their staff will be transported there, and the mission to end evil on Elysium can begin. If the base cannot be salvaged, they will have to come up with another plan.

Kevin had spoke to Adem and his wife, Sarani, regarding the new pilots. Their sons, Laska, Jaydern and Ladon will go with them to the moon, but the others were to stay at the farm until the ship returned.

At the controls, Cody set the ship on its flight plan. There was a low, whining sound and then a whoosh. In a blink of the eye, the moon loomed large in front of them.

Cody said, "Well guys, was that fast enough for you? Elee sure can move, can't she?"

Everyone agreed as they descended into the huge spaceship hanger. Dust kicked up as they inched toward the inside doors. When they touched down on the concrete floor, Kevin announced who will use the space suits.

"Ricky, you and Ladon go to the administration room and find the controls for the base. We will use the communication system to keep in contact, but remember, the space suit only gives you two hours of oxygen. If you have to abort the mission, please allow time to return to the ship. I want no one stranded in there."

"We understand," said Ricky, as he and Ladon put their suits on.

Kevin continued, "Linda, you and Laska will go to the mechanical room. Elee will guide you there and show you which switches you must activate. Your time is important because you have the furthest to travel. It will take you a half hour to get to the room and another half hour to turn on the switches. You have no time to waste."

Kathy and Cody helped everyone get suited up. The new suits were a perfect fit and Elee said it was a go.

The door opened, the steps dropped to the cement floor, and both crews stepped out and walked toward their respective doors. As they entered the complex, they did waved to the ship.

On the monitor was the view from each of their space helmets. The cameras sent clear night vision images and their voices were loud and clear.

"This is creepy," said Linda as she walked down the wide hallway. "It looks like a mall without stores. You know we could open a couple nice clothing stores up here and make a bundle of money."

"Yes, Linda, but stay on task please, we don't have time to daydream," Kevin said over the intercom.

Linda laughed and kept walking. At the first crosswalk, she asked Elee if she should go left and Elee said, "Yes, about one mile to the next crosswalk... You should then turn to the right."

The hallway had been cut into the moon, but it did not look like a cave. There were high ceilings which provided a feeling of openness. The doors along the walkway were ornate with signs telling what the room was for, and light fixtures hung from the walls upon which beautiful artwork had been painted. It reminded Linda of an ancient Egyptian temple.

"Whew, a mile is a long walk in this suit. It isn't as light as I remembered and it's getting a little warm," Linda said, sounding out of breath.

Laska laughed and said, "Linda, you have it too easy. I have to walk ten miles to the store once a week; then I carry my purchases home on my back."