Calla Lilies

Fade In:

int.Hospital lobby-day (present)

People rush around the hospital lobby. There is a quiet uproar caused by the daily ins and outs of the hospital. A few people sit in chairs, but others are wandering around.

CHRISSY sits in a  chair, looking down at the floor. She has her hands in her lap and is not paying attention to what is going on around her.

Her mother, JOHANNA, walks into the hospital and slowly makes her way over to CHRISSY. She sits down next to her and puts a hand on her daughter's shoulder.

Johanna

Ready to go home, Chris?

CHRISSY nods, remaining quiet. The two of them sit in silence for a few seconds.

JOHANNA stands, waiting for her daughter to follow her.

CHRISSY

(Quietly, to the floor.)

He always hated hospitals. He wouldn't even go to one when he had all of those kidney stones.

JOHANNA

I know.

CHRISSY

It's not fair, mama. It's just not right.

JOHANNA

It'll be all right, Christina. One day it will be all right.

CHRISSY

How can you say that? He was your husband. Didn't you love him, mama?

JOHANNA

More than he knew.

CHRISSY

(Looking up at her mother.)

Then how can you say that it'll be alright?

JOHANNA

Because it has to be.

CHRISSY

What if it's not though?

JOHANNA sighs, running a hand through her hair, and sits back down next to her daughter.

JOHANNA

It has to be.

CUT TO:

Int.Hospital room- Day (One Week Prior)

CHRISSY sits in a chair next to her father's, WENDELL, bedside. On the side table next to her, there is a bouquet of calla lilies propped up against a lamp.

WENDELL's eyes are closed. He is snoring lightly, but he suddenly wakes. His eyes flutter open and sharp snort escapes his mouth followed by a harsh COUGH.

WENDELL

(Hoarsely.)

I have always hated hospitals. If I'm dying, why can't I just die in peace? In my own home.

WENDELL shakes his head, uttering another sharp cough.

They just can't let a man do anything on his own anymore. It's all about nurses and doctors doing things for people now, apparently.

CHRISSY

It's just for a few days, daddy. The doctors said that they just want to keep you here for observation until you stop coughing up blo-

WENDELL waves a hand in her direction, beginning to cough again.

WENDELL

Oh, I know. I know, Chrissy. I just wish-