Chapter Three- January 25, 2026 (15 years old)

January 25, 2026 (15 years old)

            Reuben’s car hits a large speed bump in the school’s parking lot sending me and all my books flying forward. Pencils, notebooks, and other utensils scatter around the floor of Reuben’s black truck.

            My hands reach out to catch them, but before I can hardly react, pencils roll under the black leather seat disappearing from my view. I groN in irritation and reach up to unbuckle myself quickly before reaching down underneath the seat, my fingers clawing at the gravely bottom.

            “Damn,” I hissed, “sorry Reuben. I—I didn’t mean to—“

            “Oh, it’s okay sweetie. These damn speed bumps are the real culprits. Are you alright?” Reuben asked from the driver’s seat. His eyes shifted between the road and I even few seconds.

            I nodded before reaching down and scrambling to gather up all my things before they all rolled underneath the seat. Once everything was once again packed up inside my backpack I made sure it was zipped so no more useless accidents would occur. Flopping back into my seat I peered out the window and let out a sigh. It was a fairly windy day out, not as cold as other places I had been, but cold enough that I regretted not at least bringing a jacket alone with me. The sky was a dull, gray looking color that made my eyelids heavy with fatigue. All I wanted was to curl up inside some thick, fuzzy blankets and never come out…just to be alone with my thoughts…

But, the closer we approached to our destination, the more my heart sank at the reality of my situation. My third new high school—and I was only a sophomore. How pitiful.

            “What is this school called again?” I asked, watching kids cross the streets and rush into the dull school building with backpacks slung over their shoulders and books stack high in their arms.

            “Killard North.” Reuben said with a smile, “It doesn’t look too shabby, huh? Does it not meet your high standards?”

            “Shut it, Reuben. Although Bridgewood East was quite a reasonable—“

            “Hey, that school was way more than Natalie Beckens’ Dad could afford.” Reuben laughed, cranking the wheel and turning into the sort of ‘drop off zone’ the school had created.

            I couldn’t keep the smile from twisting onto my lips as my back pushed into the seat behind me. “Oh really? Well, Natalie Beckens thought—“

            “Nothing, Natalie Beckens is dead and gone—doesn’t think anymore.” Reuben said pulling up to the almost deserted drop off area. “Tia Morrison thinks this school is just right.” He finished, a five star grin plastered on his face. I couldn’t help but give him a hopeless smile in return.

            I rolled my eyes at his cheesy smile. It was only then that I realized this was the hard part where I actually had to leave Reuben’s side and go to school. My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach.

            I gulped, my happy demeanor instantly disappearing as I stared up at Reuben with puppy dog eyes.  “Do I—“

            “Yep,” Reuben interrupted, “we had this discussion last night, remember? Reuben I promise I’ll go tomorrow, you’ll see. I will! I’m not five anymore!” Reuben paused and laughed a little at his pathetic attempt to imitate me. He shook his head, giving me a faint smile. “New schools are always hard but—“

            “Yeah, yeah, I need an education or something like that.” I said. “Who are you again? Dad? Uncle? Grandpa’s step son’s dog walker?”