Chapter One (Chris)

The bright flash of the lightbulb struck my face as I opened my two holy eyes. Sleepy and dizzy at the same time, I used my uppermost yet tiring strength to open the window beside me. The calmness surrounding the room had escaped and was, instead, substituted with the windy breeze. The sound of the fallen leaves could be also heard along with the wind. It was when I realized it was morning, wake-up time. Looking out of the window, the environment around me had taken me onto a whole new level. The unbelievably tall skyscrapers were replaced by collections of trees and leaves. The noise of traffic was being pressed "Mute" on a speaker. The pavements were surrounded with tiny fences along the sides, one right below the view from the window.

A smile on my face determined everything about this new environment or home. Yea, "Home" would be a better word as my guts have strengthened not to return back. "No," my mind clustered. "I ain't going back, no fucking way."

"Chris?"

My developing thoughts were interrupted by Max, in which I turned to him. He was suddenly standing beside the bed, attempting to make his best "good morning". A smile took place his face as he waved at me with his phone gripped on his right hand.

"Umm.." he started as he cautiously put his phone down the table beside. "Good morning, I guess."

"Morning ." I tried to look as glad as possible, but my anxious eyes were impossible to conceal.

"You alright? You seem to be worrying about something."

"Nah, everything's fine!" I comforted as I took a soft breath.

"Forget about everything, man! It's not going to help you at all.."

Well, now it was too obvious. No matter how many times comfort was around me, the hot flames on my eyeballs were not to be removed yet. It couldn't be done right now, I just couldn't.

"I have no fucking idea of what to do man. Of course, I know you and your family are always here for me, helped me with the damn problem, saved me from But, since yesterday, I've been anxious about their comeback bro, their COMEBACK!"

"Who's "their"?

I gave him an annoyed look, which sort of reminds me of the confused emoji.

"You've gotta be kidding me!"

"Ok ok, I was just making sure of you, mate."

What a relief!

"U know what," Max began again. "Just set everything aside and focus on what you'll be doing these following days. I mean, you'd faced all the trouble the past days. And just look who's here with you now? This little smart fellow right beside you."

"Sarcasm never fades away." I thought. I replied with a soft giggle, just so he could notice it.

He shrugged for a second.

"Oh," he pointed out all of a sudden. "And I almost forgot. Mom and Dad are waiting for your appearance in the dining room. Come downstairs, get ready! I'll also be there in a minute."

"Umm, let me wash myself first."

"Ok.. see you in a minute!"

He rapidly dashed to the outside of the room. I had known Max since sixth grade, our first middle school year together. This town, Galena, was his hometown. Due to Uncle Tedd's part-time duty at Chicago, Max had to move there for four years. We attended up to the end of ninth grade until he had to return back after Tedd's duty. We weren't the best besties, just someone whom I'd like to talk to about this and that. Well, at least he was my best friend, for now, someone who I can actually trust.