Thorns and Petals: Part 1 (Lirry)

Geoff Payne was a famous event organizer. He organized parties and fairs for the richest people in the UK. Articles were written about those events, video reports were shot, and his clients varied from James Corden to David Beckham. And that's the primary reason he was standing in front of an extremely tall and slim man, looking down at his shoes and waiting for what was about to come. He was in the huge stone mansion of Harry Styles, a young entrepreneur of mind-blowing success. The man in front of him, wearing a dark fedora that fitted him remarkably well, smirked evilly, ready to play with Geoff's pride.

- Please, Mr. Styles. Try to understand. I told you the date wasn't good because of the weather, but you didn't listen. I asked you to postpone it, but you made me prepare everything for that day. How am I gonna pay you for all the guests, who decided not to come? And how is the decorations and those sculptures my fault? The weather was horrific! I couldn't control that. - Geoff rambled helplessly, feeling intimidated by the elegant man.

- So, you're telling me it was my fault? I paid you a lot of money for the fest. And I told you it would take place at June 15. Now, the rest was your responsibility. I don't care if you had to make a deal with Zeus himself to stop the rain, but you didn't do your job. That's how it works with me, Payne. I pay you, you do what I say. As simple as that. Now, you can come back with twenty-five thousands dollars, or you'll regret it. I don't like those, who owe me money. So, you better not test me. - Harry answered quietly.

     His voice was deep and rough, nothing like his elegant body. He leaned against the desk confidently, frightening the older man.

- Mr. Styles, please! How am I gonna pay you? I don't have that kind of money. I have three kids, one of which hasn't even started collage yet. If I was alone, I may have given it to you somehow, but I can't let my family suffer because of this. C-can I pay you back some other way? Maybe piece by piece monthly? - Geoff panicked, thinking about his wife and children.

     Harry opened his mouth to shut him harshly, but it turned into a grin. With or without that twenty-five thousands, Harry was still one of the top richest people in Europe. Money was never the problem. He could enjoy it in another way, though. Geoff had to pay one way or another, so he could just use him like a puppet and personal slave. One thing he loved as much as wealth and elegant life was humiliating those, who were poorer and weaker than him.

- Well, I'm not a monster. I'll make this work. Come back tomorrow and make sure to bring some comfortable working clothes. You'll need it. You're gonna stay here and work for me. - he smiled cheekily, making Geoff feel sick, not sure what was on Harry's mind.

     With a forced 'okay' Geoff left the mansion and went home, playing all the possibilities in his head. When he got home, he was relieved. At least he'd see his loving wife and young son. His daughters, Nicola and Ruth, left the house a few years ago to continue their adult lives on their own. Meanwhile, Liam, a newly sixteen year old adorable lad, still lived with them. Karen greeted her husband with a welcoming kiss and the boy gave him a warm hug, seeing that Geoff looked sad. During dinner, Geoff told them about the situation. Karen kept telling how unreasonable Mr. Styles was being. Liam was trying not to interrupt his parents' dialogue but he'd rather live an average life than have his father working extra hours.

- Dad, can't we pay him back instead, so he'll leave us alone? - he asked, his big brown eyes full of hope.

- No, Liam. We can't. I'm not going to spend the money I worked for your future on that. You're gonna go to a decent collage, have a good house, have your own money... I can't let this ruin your life, son. It's just some job, ok? I can do that. - Geoff assured him.

     Liam frowned and continued eating quietly. He thought about his dad's health. From all he knew Harry Styles lived in a palace-like house that had an enormous garden, a pool, a huge area, where he kept horses, his own farm, and even his personal forest. It was obvious the job wouldn't be in an office or somewhere inside the house. He was going to torture the middle-aged man, regardless to his weak heart and achy muscles. Geoff didn't have the strength for working under the sun. After the dinner, Karen and Geoff stayed in the living room, while Liam went to his room to read a book. When he went downstairs later, to wish them a good night, an idea came to his mind.

- Dad, about that job. Will Mr. Styles mind if I replace you? - he asked.

     Geoff looked up at him from the couch, confused.

- Why would you do that, Liam? It has nothing to do with you.

- No, it does. I don't want you to risk your health. He's going to give you a lot of physical work. I can do that. I was going to look for a part-time job, anyways. It will give me some experience. And it will be fun. - the boy tried to convince him.

    Geoff shook his head and chuckled humorlessly at the last sentence.

- Fun? You don't know Mr. Styles, kid. I don't want you anywhere near such a heartless person. You want some experience, go work at a coffeeshop, where you can make good friends and enjoy your time. - he said.

- Come on! I will learn to work with different people, spend my time in a new place, and stay physically active. Also, you know how much I like nature and animals, dad. Pleaase. I'm not just asking this to take it off your shoulders. I just wanna do it. - Liam pleaded, using his puppy eyes that always worked.

     Geoff looked at him sternly, but it didn't last long. Liam's innocent expression reminded him of the little boy that used to ask him to go to the zoo, play in the garden, have a cookie, and read him his favorite bedtime stories. Even with Liam being already sixteen his chocolate eyes still remained the same. And how could he ever say no to them?

- Fine. But Liam, if anything goes wrong, you're getting right back, and I'm doing all the work. And I'm gonna stay in contact, so I'll make sure Styles doesn't hurt you in any way. I don't trust him. Especially with you. I can't believe I'm saying yes to this. - Geoff sighed, causing Liam squeal and jump into his arms.

- Thank you, thank you, thank you! - Liam said happily and pulled away.

     He rushed back to his room and changed into his Avengers pajamas, making a self-note to take something more mature, when he gets to the Styles mansion. He crawled under his warm blanket and fell asleep with a satisfied smile on his face. Not only did he stop his father from ruining his health, but he also got a chance for new adventures.

To Be Continued...