Chapter Two

Hardin kept his head down, reviewed the records of the Steepleward militia costs, and waited for the scriveners to file out the door. He had finished his ledger work earlier, but feigned continuing to review in order to avoid having to rise in front of anyone. It was better to work a bit later than to suffer the scrutiny of walking down the aisle on his way to Magnillion's office.  Waiting and wondering what he had for him was painful, but he had learned patience over the years, being used to not getting what he wanted.  

The last of the scriveners passed by and made their way out of the Chancellery. He said a silent prayer of thanks to Uhl that Stiiwe and Lantisford were distracted as they passed by, embattled in a heated discussion with Taelinda Korrs over the validity of rumors of strange happenings in Wicklorne. His days working as a Rat Breaker had taught him how to blend in with his surroundings, so he was often overlooked and able to avoid conflict this way. 

The Secretary of the Treasury and his two assistants at the front of the room finished packing up their things and exited through the door at the front of the hall. 

Hardin was alone. He could finally relax.  

He closed up his ledger book, placed it back in his desk drawer and let the revoluminaries come to rest in his hand, extinguishing their glow. The airy and bright hall had suddenly become unsettling.  The few torches that lined the walls cast deep shadows and the silence he usually welcomed became oppressive. He was not used to being here alone, usually slinking out first at the end of the work day. 

After forcing himself to wait a few more minutes in order to avoid running into somebody in the Chancellery masters' hallways, he made his way to the front of the hall, went through the door and walked down the dimly lit corridor until he found himself at Magnillion's office.  

He knocked, heard "Come in." and entered the room. 

Magnillion walked over behind him, locked the door and sat at a desk covered in a sea of various ledgers, books and scrolls. Two revoluminaries lit his desk, casting dim light on heaps of books strewn all about the room. Two aged cherry wood bookcases overflowed with large tomes, small booklets and piles of leaflets, all arranged in a haphazard and disorganized manner. 

"Finally Hardin. I almost thought you had forgotten me," said Magnillion motioning for Hardin to sit in the worn wooden chair facing his desk. 

 "Had lots to finish up," said Hardin as he took his seat.

"Yes, yes. I'm sure you did. So let's cut to the chase straight away. I know you must be dying to know what I have for you; should have given it to you long ago anyway," said Magnillion.  

He took a key from his robe pocket, unlocked the desk drawer, took out two small booklets bound in faded brown leather and placed them on top of some papers on the desk.  His gaze lingered on them for so long that Hardin became uncomfortable and wondered if he had forgotten he was in the room. 

"Sir, are you alright?" questioned Hardin. 

Magnillion blinked then smiled. "Oh yes, sorry. Was just thinking about when I found you in the alley in that wretched Crescent Hollow ward." He sighed, leaned back and said, "Hardin, I have a confession to make. I did not accidentally stumble upon you that day being out on Chancellery business. I had been searching for you specifically. There is more to you than what meets the eye." 

Hardin began to ask him what he meant, when Magnillion raised his hand to silence him and turned an ear towards the door. His eyes grew wide, his raised hand trembled then darted through the disarray on his desktop. Papers shuffled and fell to the floor. He grabbed a quill and scribbled a few words on a small sheet of parchment. 

The office door handle jiggled slightly. 

Magnillion thrust the parchment and the two leather books into Hardin's hands, dragged him to the far corner of the room, and unceremoniously pushed him into a small dark space between a bureau and the far wall. He held a finger to his lips, mouthed "Don't move" and made his way back to his desk. 

The door exploded inward. 

From his vantage point, Hardin heard some people enter, but was unable to see who. 

"You couldn't leave well enough alone, could you?" said a voice that Hardin recognized unmistakably as the Chancellor himself, Kakkag Ossunheff.  

Hardin froze. His hands remained motionless, fearing to crinkle the parchment he held. 

"My friend here asked me to tell you that Seraath gives his regards. Said you led him right to the Respenval child," laughed Kakkag. 

"I always knew you were a fool and now you are a dead fool.  Finish him. Quickly." 

Hardin wanted to scream. He wanted to run and get help.

Why wasn't Magnillion saying anything? Why wasn't he trying to talk his way out of this? Why wasn't he trying to run? 

The next sound Hardin heard was one he would never forget. It was the first time he heard a man die. 

The stabbing sounds seemed to last forever. Magnillion gasped and groaned, then hit the desk. Hardin heard something pour onto paper. He screamed inside his head. The usual internal void was out of reach. The pain throttled him inside, agony pooling deep in his belly. He could not breathe. 

"It's over.  Let's go. I've got to get somebody to clean up this mess," said Kakkag. Hardin heard them walk over the broken door and leave the room. 

Tears flowed uncontrollably down his face.  He didn't ever want to leave the darkened corner of that room.  Only when the fear of somebody coming back to clean up the room overpowered his fear of facing Magnillion, did Hardin step out from behind the bureau. 

He lay with his back across the desk, head hung down, mouth agape in an eternal scream. His throat was sliced clean across, blood still dripping onto the scattered papers on the floor. Sightless sockets stared out at him, as Magnillion's eyes had been carved out of his head.  

Hardin did all he could to keep the bile down. His whole body shook.  

A distant sound brought him back to his senses and he knew he must get out of there. He sidestepped the desk, refusing to look at the horror before him once more and made his way towards the shattered door. 

He remembered the note that Magnillion had given him and held it up under the light from the revoluminaries. 

"Danger. Get to Wicklorne."