Three: Corina

Three: Corina

Richard, Jasmine’s husband, is.... interesting.

Richard Desmond is an African American with a great sense of humour. The man is barely any taller than Jerome, which matches Jasmine’s height perfectly. When Jerome meets him, the two hit off perfectly.

“He’s amazing, isn’t he?” Jasmine sighs dreamily as Richard makes Jerome burst out laughing yet again. I turn to look at her, and find a very wooed look in her eye.

The corners of my lip twitch. “Woman, you are smitten!”

Jasmine lets out a little giggle. “I know, right?”

Jasmine is a very pleasant young lady. Even though she’s four years elder to Jerome, her facial features depict childishness and innocence at its peak. I adore how Jasmine and Jerome get along, almost as if the two were siblings. Which is good, considering Jerome doesn’t have any siblings.

“Having a fun time, girls?” Jerome’s dad, Kayn, pops up behind us, holding an empty glass of champagne in his hands.

Both of us nod, while I eye Kayn’s glass hopefully. His face stretches into an evil smile. “Nothing for you, Cory dear,” he lectures, “I know you’re legal now and all, but you know what alcohol and other...um...dangerous stuff does to your system.” His forehead creases as he mutters to himself, “Hope I got the words right...”

I roll my eyes at Kayn. He isn’t exactly good at lecturing Jerome and me, probably because he’s still a kid himself.

“Anyway,” he continues, trying to hide a smirk, “We’ve got to go now. Sorry, Jasmine darling. Jane’s got a tea party to attend and-,”

Jasmine interrupts him with a very well rehearsed pout. “Really, uncle?” she asks in disappointment, “Are you guys really ditching my reception for a tea party?”

I nod in agreement, enjoying this for an unknown reason. “That’s right, uncle,” I add, “She’ll only get married once in her life.”

“I certainly hope so!” Richard chimes in, now standing behind Jasmine and wrapping her in a casual hug. Jerome quirks an eyebrow at me and I shrug. I really don’t want to go yet.

“It’s apparently important,” Kayn adds wearily. It’s common knowledge that Kayn doesn’t really enjoy the various tea parties his wife holds in his ‘humble’ abode.

And that’s how we find ourselves leaving Jasmine’s reception three hours later. Jerome and I managed to stall for that long through a series of events which are best not mentioned.

Let’s just say the cleaning staffs and the cook of the party aren’t exactly pleased with us. Not in the least.

“It was pleasant meeting you, Jer!” Richard says, wrapping Jerome in a warm hug. I smile at the sight. Richard must be one of those rare men who don’t engage in the usual awkward man-hugs. 

Once Jerome and Richard are done with their friendly goodbye, I give Richard a hug and a less-than-discreet warning about the consequences he would face if anything happened to Jasmine.

The man responds in a very entertaining way.

“Corina,” Jasmine smiles warmly, “Come here!” She crushes me into an incredibly tight hug, and as she pulls back she’s muttering something about Jerome and how he chose well.

I’ll just ignore that.

When we wander back to where Richard and Jerome are, we find them both still talking. Neither of them seem to be taking breaths in between.